Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
where do i find a high performance fuel pump??

If your old mechanical pump is the one that has the inlet, outlet, and vapor/overflow line going back to the carb i'd like to take it off your hands (if it's still working) Mine is 35 years old, i'm sure it's running on borrowed time.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Does anyone still sell a mechanical "marine rated" pump for 455 olds? The engine I just bought has a mech pump with the outlet - inlet - vapor port configuration but I think the diaphram is shot because the crankcase oil has a strong gasoline smell and seems thinner than it should be. It could also be leaking from the carb so im not sure. My other engine (also marine and just as old) has the automotive style outlet - inlet only configuration so who knows if it is really necessary.
Is there a good way to pressure/vacuum test these old mechanical pumps? Just pressurize each port to 4-5 psi and see if it leaks over time?

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
You could hook your vacuum guage to the inlet side of the pump and crank the motor over, should pull a good vacuum in the 13-16 range.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your old mechanical pump is the one that has the inlet, outlet, and vapor/overflow line going back to the carb i'd like to take it off your hands (if it's still working) Mine is 35 years old, i'm sure it's running on borrowed time.
it is only 2 seasons old and it has an inlet, outlet, and one with a rubber cap on it? so this is a vapor overflow?? where on the carb would this be plumbed???

tahiti boss, mine is automotive. can be bought new at most part store. this is why i am inquiring about maybe a higher output pump??

malcom, what did you finally end up runnin for a fuel pump???

·
Registered
201 Posts
Mine is plumbed (Q-jet) to a port at the rear top of the carb, just below the flame arrestor. It appears to simply vent to the area just inside the flame arrestor by the rear (larger) upper butterflies.

·
NW Spectraholic
588 Posts
malcom, what did you finally end up runnin for a fuel pump???
I still have a standard parts store variety on my new boat, but I have the RobbMc off my other 455 just waiting for this one to give me any trouble at all. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts