Performance Boats Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
B.A.M aka "Black Azz Mike
2,925 Posts
i never realized there was that much oil backed up in the heads.
Oh yeah! The drain holes are as small as a pinky finger and have no love on returning the oil fast enuff. I do think that the edelbrocks compensated to help with this problem. I know that mondello's heads are full worked and come with holes already drilled and tapped for external lines.

On another note, you can make oil restricted pushrods with pipecleaners from wall-mart for about $5. Twist 2 of them together and insert them into the pushrods. THen cut them .250 inches shorter than the pushrods on both ends. THis is the old skool way of restricting the top end and its proven to work :)

·
2,925 Posts
According to the powers that be the "C" casting heads flows the best of the Olds heads. The one website states that if you have one of these heads: F;C;K;D castings you are what it spells. lol

J 411783 80, 82cc 2.000" 1.625" 1973-76 455 "smog" motors. Standard [small] valves: 2.000 and 1.625", even Toronado, 442, etc. [presumably]. Exhaust port is choked off to about 1" diameter just under the valve. No blocked heat crossover. Rotators, deep spring seats, hardened exhaust seats. Very common. Avoid.

THats correct! The "C" heads flow the BEST for stock heads!!!!!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I didnt read the whole thread before I started posting. THat was my bad.

I personally use a stock melling pump from autozone. Then I tear it apart to clearance gears,debur, port/polish and chamfer/open up the oil delivery hole on the pump. THen I remove the pressure bypass spring, measure it and then stretch it .500 over the stock length. Then I install the spring and a new grade 8 cotter pin. Lastly I tack weld the pickup to the pump very carefully. The welding usually takes an hour to do. I spot tack and then let cool completely off before proceeding to the next spot tack. THen I port/polish/bore and chamfer the # main cap or wherever the oil pump is being mounted. I them make sure that I have a "hardened" oil pump drive shaft so there is no issues in that dept. It literally costs $10 for a good hardened shaft. Finally, I change the bypass in the filter mount and drill it out, tap it, then install a plug with a lil loctite to secure it.

I never understood why peeps would recommend using a high volume pump on an olds motor. The main issue with the olds is pumping too much oil to the heads and it cant return to the pan fast enuff. Thus, you suck the pan dry and end up roasting the bottom end! Boring the return in the heads helps out alot BUT drilling,tapping and installing external lines to the pan is far better and works wonders (IHMO).

Last but NOT least, use the largest oil pan that you can get and make sure that it has a windage tray or screen with trap doors in it!!!!!!!!!
With all the previous stated restriction to the system, the stock volume tends to go a lot further, doesn't it Mike:)devil

·
2,925 Posts
Alot of jet boat builders used the 455 olds back in the day(70's) because they created more torque than ANY other stock big block motor! Plus gm had a smoking deal on them motors so everybody used them :) Food for thought :)

·
2,925 Posts
With all the previous stated restriction to the system, the stock volume tends to go a lot further, doesn't it Mike:)devil

yes it does Josh :)

I never understood WHY people restricted the mains/cam/rods in an olds motor. Every DEAD olds you see kickes a rod or spins the schit out of the bearings due to lack of oil. WHy would you restrict the crank if they have a bad rep for spinning and kick out rods?

I never restrict my motors bottom ends. Just the top end for obvious reasons(restricted head drain back flow) :)

·
"Mad" Member
769 Posts
yes it does Josh :)

I never understood WHY people restricted the mains/cam/rods in an olds motor. Every DEAD olds you see kickes a rod or spins the schit out of the bearings due to lack of oil. WHy would you restrict the crank if they have a bad rep for spinning and kick out rods?

I never restrict my motors bottom ends. Just the top end for obvious reasons(restricted head drain back flow) :)
When you put restricters in the bottom end of the Olds you do not restrict the feed to the Mains and Big ends, the restricters are put into the oil passages that goes to the cam.(middle passage on the mains).

·
Registered
388 Posts
When you put restricters in the bottom end of the Olds you do not restrict the feed to the Mains and Big ends, the restricters are put into the oil passages that goes to the cam.(middle passage on the mains).
True. Wouldn't restricted cam bearing be redundant when used together?

·
"Mad" Member
769 Posts
True. Wouldn't restricted cam bearing be redundant when used together?
I use the restricted cam bearings as well. There are some pics on another forum that explains the whole set up very well. I don't know if I will get my butt kicked if I post the pics here?:|err

·
Registered
393 Posts
i was told to run a high volume oil pump to compemsate for the looser tolerances on the big rod end?? side clearances ?? and the notches in the top and bottom of both sides of the big end?? i never gave it much thought, i just did what i was told, by one guy who raced oldsmobile! long before knew about these boards, which could make it hard for a novice to make a decision!! I STILL LIKE HEARING ALL THE HOOPLA!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I use the restricted cam bearings as well. There are some pics on another forum that explains the whole set up very well. I don't know if I will get my butt kicked if I post the pics here?:|err
JETMAD I started this tread please do post I want input:)devil

·
"Mad" Member
769 Posts
JETMAD I started this tread please do post I want input:)devil
Here goes, complimants of someone else's hard work.:D

The diagram is for a SBO 350 but the 455 oiling system basically works the same.

The gentleman also states and I quote: "You only use the lifter bore restricters when you are running solid or roller lifters and not Hydraulic lifters."

I agree.

Attachments

·
NW Spectraholic
588 Posts
Good info is starting to creep out here. :)

Yes, you only need to do ONE method of cam bearing restriction IF you choose to do it at all. I leave the cam bearings alone in favor of making the main brg holes bigger. ;) I've been building V-8s for 20 years and I put a high volume pump in every one Melling makes one for. ;) A high "pressure" pump is just any pump with a shimmed relief spring in it. With a loose bottom end YOU BET you need a high volume pump in it! The only time I would go with a standard pump would be in a race only application where it is going to spend 99% of it's life with your foot on the floor. :D

Hey 396! Long time no talk buddy! Yes I'm still Olds powered, but in a Spectra 19 instead of the old 18 footer. Much nicer handling boat! ;)

·
"Mad" Member
769 Posts
I have been looking through some old info on an engine build for a Hamilton jet boat. For cooling the oil, they ran copper tubing through the bottom of the oil pan. It is one solid piece of tubing with no joints inside the pan.

Don't know if it worked? At least you are not taking the oil through external tubing to a remote oil cooler and putting more strain on the oiling system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is no way to get that HP range cheap. I have done a lot of reshearch regarding the 455 Olds and to build a reliable one takes a good engine builder that knows the machine and all the tricks.

1. Restricted Pushrods.
2. Resrtict oil galley on mains to cam.
3. Restricted cam bearings.
4. Nodular crank.
5. Enlarge backflow oil galleys in heads.
6. Debur lifter valley.
7. Modify conrods.
8. H/V oil pump.

and the list goes on.

Oh, and you can listen to Malcolm - I using the advice he gave me on rebuilding my engine.

Most important is the tolerances on the big end and main bearings.

Been there done that:)st

PS. And I am a big Olds fan. Don't do it cheap do it right the first time.:)devil
Hello, building up my second 455. I’m curious to know what the tolerance should be on the big end as mentioned.
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Guys, Long time listener first time caller, Built a 496 with an Eagle kit. 580hp with 570ft lbs at 5400 rpm. 004.5 on the mains with 004.0 on the rods. Restrictors in the mains and Dick Miller restricted push rods. 5 cap Miller Halo girdle with HP oil pump. 8 Quart oil pan running a cooler. CFM Edelbrocks with no drainbacks and no issues. Custom Bullet Had Roller. Running an AB Aggressor. Being an Olds I took it apart 2 years in a row and bearings look brand new. Running 20W50 amsoil. Haven't run it in 18 months because I started a new company. Dumbass, But its an Olds that lives,

61 - 76 of 76 Posts