Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo!

Hey guys, so this weekend I started to develop a bit of a smoke problem in my 455. The boat ran great all weekend, I've had one plug fouling on me so Sunday morning I pulled it and it had quite a bit of carbon on it.

Anyways, my question. I'm getting smoke out of one side of the engine and the boat is burning a little oil. I want to change the valve seals, which I already have in the garage and see if it fixes the problem before I get into rings or anything else that will require a teardown. I'll save that for this winter.

I have heard of using an air compressor to change (pop out) the valve seals and that it can be done pretty quickly. Any tips from some of you motor guys that have done it?

· mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
Yo!

Hey guys, so this weekend I started to develop a bit of a smoke problem in my 455. The boat ran great all weekend, I've had one plug fouling on me so Sunday morning I pulled it and it had quite a bit of carbon on it.

Anyways, my question. I'm getting smoke out of one side of the engine and the boat is burning a little oil. I want to change the valve seals, which I already have in the garage and see if it fixes the problem before I get into rings or anything else that will require a teardown. I'll save that for this winter.

I have heard of using an air compressor to change (pop out) the valve seals and that it can be done pretty quickly. Any tips from some of you motor guys that have done it?

the air pressure is just to hold the valves up in the head while you replace the seals. i doubt valve seals are your issue though, i never put valves seals on any jetboat motor i build. you may have a busted rings or worn out valve guide.

· Sit N' Spin
1,345 Posts
i never put valves seals on any jetboat motor i build.
Are these the same 1,000hp motors you run aluminum impellers on with great success? :D :)hand

· mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
Are these the same 1,000hp motors you run aluminum impellers on with great success? :D :)hand
let's see:

my 11 to 1 bbf 460 no seals had bout 850hp
steve's bbf no seals, bout 450hp
my blown 475 no seals bout 800hp
my nitrous 505 no seals bout 1250+hp on the bottle
unk's twin turbo 496 no seals bout 2100+hp

you getting the picture:D if your guides are in good shape, it doesn't hurt letting the valve lube and cool with oil:)bulb

· Registered
383 Posts
i never put valves seals on any jetboat motor i build.
????????? what stops the oil from coming through??????????

what does leaving out the valve seals, help????????????

i have stopped a few cars from smoking, by installing valve guide seals!
whats the big difference from cars to jet boats in regards to valve stem seals??

yeh, i have used a compression gauge with the detachable gauge. just wind the rubber hose part into the plug hole, then my compressor hose fit right on where the gauge attached! worked real slick!

i am pretty sure it couldnt hurt to replace your seals.

· mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts

whats the big difference from cars to jet boats in regards to valve stem seals??

yeh, i have used a compression gauge with the detachable gauge. just wind the rubber hose part into the plug hole, then my compressor hose fit right on where the gauge attached! worked real slick!

sounds like you doctored up some cars putting in new valve seals. if they were smoking all the time and seals fixed it, the guides are worn out in the heads and you were just keep oil from gettin to them buy using valve seals.

bbc heads with 11/32 valves don't get enough oil on the stem imo, so we've been building motors for boats without them for more than a decade without issues. worse thing that's gonna happen is a puff of smoke during the 1st start of the day.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Appreciate the info, I think that putting in new ones should help the smoke issue considerably. I'm not looking for a permanent fix but I'm also not planning to pull the motor until this winter to get into rings etc.

Impatient - you're saying that you dont think changing the seals will impact my smoke issue at all?? As it stands right now I have to scrub the back of the boat off everytime I pull it our of the water due to the haze buildup. It also leaves a fairly sizeable cloud of smoke when I put throttle to it and then clears at higher RPM's. You dont think that new seals will help any of this?

I have a certified master mechanic I work with that thinks the seals will make a major difference. Just looking for some clarification.

· mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
Appreciate the info, I think that putting in new ones should help the smoke issue considerably. I'm not looking for a permanent fix but I'm also not planning to pull the motor until this winter to get into rings etc.

Impatient - you're saying that you dont think changing the seals will impact my smoke issue at all?? As it stands right now I have to scrub the back of the boat off everytime I pull it our of the water due to the haze buildup. It also leaves a fairly sizeable cloud of smoke when I put throttle to it and then clears at higher RPM's. You dont think that new seals will help any of this?

I have a certified master mechanic I work with that thinks the seals will make a major difference. Just looking for some clarification.

i am a gm and ase certified master tech;) is the smoke blue or white during acceleration? all valve seals do is keep oil from leaching down into the valve/guide. i guess its a personal preference thing. think of all the people that sticks valves and trash motors, all of them were runnin valve seals, none of my motors have ever stuck a valve cause they get lubed.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i am a gm and ase certified master tech;) is the smoke blue or white during acceleration? all valve seals do is keep oil from leaching down into the valve/guide. i guess its a personal preference thing. think of all the people that sticks valves and trash motors, all of them were runnin valve seals, none of my motors have ever stuck a valve cause they get lubed.

Wasnt questioning your expertise at all, was just letting everyone know where my thinking was coming from.

The smoke has a bluish tint to it.

· mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
Wasnt questioning your expertise at all, was just letting everyone know where my thinking was coming from.

The smoke has a bluish tint to it.
that's fuel smoke, not oil smoke;) i'd be looking at the carb, not the valve seals. you say it smokes until wot, that means at wot the motor is overcoming the rich condition its under during acceleration. its either got too big a jets in it or something else is up.

· Registered
383 Posts
It has a strong "Oil Burning" smell to it though.....STINKY.:(
what color of smoke????????
black would be a rich condition
lighter blueish will be oil

olds 455 have oiling problems. the heads dont let the oil back into the pan quick enough! i am sure your engine has all the mods in the lower end to slow down the top end oiling, but there is still alot of oil in olds 455 valve covers. it is a shot in the dark to say whether or not valve seals will help you alot or a little. it is worth a shot! it is very easy to do, so why not try. nothing ventured nothing gained. should only take a couple hours.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kind of my thought on it, I have the seals so why not just go ahead and change them.

I have a mix of black and blue smoke depending. But I have had carb issues as well switching between an Edelbrock and a couple different Q-Jets.

· NW Spectraholic
565 Posts
Yeah, no matter how much oil is stuck in the covers, unless your valves are swapping holes with each other they aren't capable of letting enough oil past them to make smoke. Sorry dude. :(

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, no matter how much oil is stuck in the covers, unless your valves are swapping holes with each other they aren't capable of letting enough oil past them to make smoke. Sorry dude. :(

I dont anticipate it fixing the problem, the motor will come out and get tore down this winter for a ring job etc. I was just hoping the seals would alleviate it a little for the summer. I have good compression and it's running great, just a little smoke issue.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.