Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 73 spectra 18 / 455 390 horse that has clean water leaking out from the passenger side valve cover. Where is this water leak likely to be originating from? been reading alot of blogs and there seems to be alot of answers. oh , berkley jet with a meirsch preloader, do have a 40 psi pressure reducer in line, no oil in pan , just on the valve train both sides. water dripping was visible at 4500 rpm and was not at any lower rpm. Hardin marine snails, motor is basically stock , we did a rebuild on this engine about 5 yrs ago and the boat is rarely used. last summer the pan did fill up wtih water and we did a clean out and installed new valley pan for the intake, replaced exhaust manifold gaskets with copper gaskets this time. Have yet to do a comp. test.

·
Boat Test GURU
516 Posts
40 psi on your Olds is high in my opinion. See if you can drop it down to 30 PSI. Now for the trick question. The water on the top end of the engine is solid drops of water or mixed with the oil??? If it is a solid drop of water that indicates condensation. If it is mixed with the oil you should have oil and water on your dip stick..

JW

·
Registered
746 Posts
I put a 15 psi valve with dump at the pump ... no more gasket blowing :)st

·
"Mad" Member
769 Posts
I put a 15 psi valve with dump at the pump ... no more gasket blowing :)st
You do not want any more than 15psi on the Olds water system.

Fitting a pressure relief valve will keep the pressure constant in the system.

Get rid of the old valley pan and install proper marine grade head gaskets and intake manifold gaskets. It will save you a lot of $ down the line.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts