valve lift .560 .560

lobe separation 110.0

460/alum heads/stealth intake/850 demon/msd ign/75-80 mph
berk ss-a/ride plate/stuffer/hydraulic diverter/ss loader

hell of a hole shot=18ft southwind

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Comp Cams, grind number: 294-3/282-2 S14+4. Intake: .595" Exhaust: .561 [email protected] .050" in. 248 ex 236- 114 L/C

·
Registered
537 Posts
I run comp ex -274-h. steath ,ot headers,850 hp, 9.5 :1.
so far so good,great idle ,turns 5000 wot don't know what impeller

·
Registered
537 Posts
if I did it again, I would listen to the more experanced guys on here & go roller!!!! I learned the hard(expencive) way:)sphss research it in the dyno room!!

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
non-rollers are vastly becoming obsolete, modern oil's won't support the flat tappet cams, especially on break-in. The high dollar racing oils have the zinc required, or the zinc dditive can be added to each oil change/break-in. Hydrolic roller = a happy engine, hydrolic flat-tappet = crapshoot

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
More info needed on boat and intended usage. I raced the 429-460 motor in three boats and one play cruiser. The guys here are right about trying to run a std cam, crap shoot with todays oils and technology for grinding cams at the right lifter ride angle for a long life is not good. FWIW I will not run a HYDRAULIC roller to save my life! The last 460 motor I put in a boat was a smaller grind with short duration and iron heads. 18 ft Southwind with a stock berkeley A impellar, no ride plate or shoe and ran 82 mph. I did however move the intake back 3 inches and made the motor into an adjustable rocker set-up useing chevy rockers. M

·
Registered
136 Posts
Roller is the only way to go! I ran Comp Cam part #(Grind#300A-R10)

.663 lift 262 Dur @ .050 110 Lobe sep.

Ran it on a .080 460 and spun an Aggressor B Mag Bronze to 6000rpms. It would still turn around and pull a tube or a Wake board! :)devil

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
I run comp ex -274-h. steath ,ot headers,850 hp, 9.5 :1.
so far so good,great idle ,turns 5000 wot don't know what impeller
flat tappet, 9.5:1 comp and 850 hp as in carb right? cuz there aint no way that thing is making 850 horsepower...lol

·
Driver
3,195 Posts
Roller is the only way to go! I ran Comp Cam part #(Grind#300A-R10)

.663 lift 262 Dur @ .050 110 Lobe sep.

Ran it on a .080 460 and spun an Aggressor B Mag Bronze to 6000rpms. It would still turn around and pull a tube or a Wake board! :)devil
what heads and comp ratio?

·
Registered
72 Posts
cam, build specs

30 over 460, 9.5 comp, ported doves with oversize stainless valves by high flow dynamics, cam is custom grind from cam research, hyd flat tappet, .564 intake .588 exhaust 238 in 244 ex duration at 50. 110 lsa with 4deg advance. Port p sonic intake with 1050 dominator, bassett headers. Only had the boat on the water 6 times but so far so good, plenty of power, sounds awesome and perfectly reliable. I must admit I did wipe one lobe on the first cam I installed, it was a similar grind from Scotty, I have no explanation as to what happened to it. I know I did everything correct with the install and break in but it didn't last 30 min. I'm not saying Scotty did anything wrong or that the parts were bad, but I now highly recommend cam research and their cam break in service, money well spent for peace of mind.

·
Mr SEXCLAMATION
79 Posts
I havent been on the forums for a LONG while but Im sure some of you remember me.

Does a 533" count? I run a Crane solid, 272/ 280 @ .050, .680". 13.8:1 comp; single 1150; 6600 rpm; B cut

In my 460's I ran in the [email protected] .050 range

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
flat tappet, 9.5:1 comp and 850 hp as in carb right? cuz there aint no way that thing is making 850 horsepower...lol
Put a 400 shot on it and maybe...........

GM Killer. What happened to your white gullwing that was for sale? Anyone from the board pick it up?
I think it was for sale about the time I bought mine, but was too light for what I wanted to use it for.

·
Mr SEXCLAMATION
79 Posts
Put a 400 shot on it and maybe...........

GM Killer. What happened to your white gullwing that was for sale? Anyone from the board pick it up?
I think it was for sale about the time I bought mine, but was too light for what I wanted to use it for.

SAD story. I was forced to sell it because of the financial state my now EX wife put me in. The motor was sold to a guy in Havasu who lost his job and ended up parting it out all over the country. The hull went to a guy in the Fresno area. Not sure whatever came of it.

All that is left of the boat is the pump that Im now running in my Hallett.

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
I feel for ya. Been there. The big D sucks in most ways, but can also be a good thing. It just takes a while to realize the good part.

The day mine was finalized was the worst and best day of my life.

I know it seems weird, but I see her now and cringe at the thought I would've been married to her for 20 years by now had we stayed together. 4 was more than enough.

·
Mr SEXCLAMATION
79 Posts
I feel for ya. Been there. The big D sucks in most ways, but can also be a good thing. It just takes a while to realize the good part.

The day mine was finalized was the worst and best day of my life.

I know it seems weird, but I see her now and cringe at the thought I would've been married to her for 20 years by now had we stayed together. 4 was more than enough.

Im happy as can be just broke right now. This being my second one, Ive got some practice at it. :D We have trial in September and the courts have raped me with a BS $3100 a month in "temporary" spousel support. I had to agree to this just to get her out of my house. Then she stole everything out of it and trashed what was left. Isnt this a great court system we have? Nothing can be done to her until we return to court. In the mean time Im strapped, but I dont have her anymore!!!

Thank you all for allowing me to vent. LOL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts