Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the site. I have a 76 Hawaiian Jetboat with a 460. A month ago while out on the water I realized my oil pan was full of water so I pulled the motor thinking I had blown a headgasket but it turned out that corrosion had worn a hole in my timing chain cover. While I had the motor out I figured I would clean up the motor, paint it, get new intake, have the heads rebuilt, got a new timing chain cover and pressed a new dipstick tube into the timing chain cover. Needless to say I took it to the dock the 1st time and it runs great however there is water spewing around my dipsick tube and again slowly filling my pan with water. The higher the RPM is the faster the water spews out. I have no idea what to do any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm new to the site. I have a 76 Hawaiian Jetboat with a 460. A month ago while out on the water I realized my oil pan was full of water so I pulled the motor thinking I had blown a headgasket but it turned out that corrosion had worn a hole in my timing chain cover. While I had the motor out I figured I would clean up the motor, paint it, get new intake, have the heads rebuilt, got a new timing chain cover and pressed a new dipstick tube into the timing chain cover. Needless to say I took it to the dock the 1st time and it runs great however there is water spewing around my dipsick tube and again slowly filling my pan with water. The higher the RPM is the faster the water spews out. I have no idea what to do any help would be greatly appreciated.
Are you running the steel separator plate between the Water inlet plate and the timing cover? This is the same piece a car type water pump would have, those Berkeley Inlet Covers are the only ones that need them, this seals off the water ports from the rest of the cover including the dipstick area.
FMS-M-8501-460BP.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Josh I am not and have never had one in there do you think if i put one in that would take care of my problem? the wife named my boat Saturday killer lol....

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
O fix would be plug the dipstick tube, put a stick in the pan, or i would pull the front cover off make sure its flat or atleast close and generously silicone and gasket both sides, may need to weld up the corroded area too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Old thread new reply. I ran that water pump replacement cover for a few years. Story… Ran boat on trailer prior to trip and had water in oil. Thought the worst, intake,heads, block, geez here we go. Took advice of a few on this site and pressurized the cooling system with small amount of air.

Luckily I had the dipstick out and I see oil and water spewing from dipstick tube. What the heck? I had only given it about 2psi. It shouldn’t be coming out of there at such a low pressure. Pulled the water pump plate.

Come to find out the POS water pump cover plate, instead of pushing water just into the water ports, allows water to circulate all throughout the timing cover area Including the area where the dipstick tube is. It lasted about three years and the the dipstick tube disintegrated on the backside of the tube, sending water directly into the oil pan. Looking at it you would have never seen the problem. I would have torn down the entire motor, put back together and still had the same problem. Lucky catch…

Bottomline, pulled motor to clean,flush,and dry. new timing cover, replaced the POS cover with Hardin marine cover, added thermostat kit and bypass/pressure regulator. No more oil in water and no more screwing around with inlet valve trying to regulate water temperature. Turned out to be blessing in disguise. Do not run that plate in the first photo (blue motor). Run the one on the second motor (yellow motor). seal real well around the timing cover water ports and timing cover bolts imho.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One quick follow up note. If you have an oil pan that holds extra oil and has windage tray you will never get all the crappy watery milky white oil out. initially, I thought water pressure from garden hose caused the problem. I replaced the oil and filter three times with diesel and new oil. Never hooked up garden hose. It changed the oil from cream to milk to somewhat clear. Problem found, I pulled the motor. There was still about a quart of crap oil in the pan and surface rust was started on heads, cam, crank,etc. No amount of draining, sucking, however you get oil out of your engine will get all the crap oil out.

Rust wiped off, lots of WD40, and shop rags needed to get her back in shape.

Water in oil…PULL motor, clean,clean,clean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts