Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just had a 460 rebuilt with all new bearings went to go prime it with a priming tool in a drill ccw and i first started with the filter cracked till it leaked out then tightened it up filled filter up but it never built pressure or came out of lifters or pushrods
motor was just running and had good oil pressure before tear down everything was clean. reason i tore it down was to install a cam and heads and new hiflo dynamics oil pump. main bearins and rod bearings were plasti guaged and are in spec i did remove the frost plug on the back side of cam. when i reinstalled it did i possibly plug up an oil gally to the lifters?

·
Registered
388 Posts
just had a 460 rebuilt with all new bearings went to go prime it with a priming tool in a drill ccw and i first started with the filter cracked till it leaked out then tightened it up filled filter up but it never built pressure or came out of lifters or pushrods
motor was just running and had good oil pressure before tear down everything was clean. reason i tore it down was to install a cam and heads and new hiflo dynamics oil pump. main bearins and rod bearings were plasti guaged and are in spec i did remove the frost plug on the back side of cam. when i reinstalled it did i possibly plug up an oil gally to the lifters?
Is it possible the gasket was left out between the pickup and the Oil Pump?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i am turning it counter clockwise. i do have 5 psi after i repacked the pump with vasaline but no more than that and it wont go up the lifters so i took the pump apart and it looks like the relief is stuck open. i took an old pump apart and it was partially closed. the pump is brand new thru hi flo dynamics

·
Registered
388 Posts
yes i am turning it counter clockwise. i do have 5 psi after i repacked the pump with vasaline but no more than that and it wont go up the lifters so i took the pump apart and it looks like the relief is stuck open. i took an old pump apart and it was partially closed. the pump is brand new thru hi flo dynamics
You might want to talk with Paul before you take the pump to far apart. One of the mods he does gets the end of the relief out of the oil flow, at a glance it may look like its partially open but it shouldn't be open yet.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I seem to remember reading somewhere to have someone slowly rotate the crank while priming. Had something to do with position of the lifters in the bore keeping oil from going into the lifter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
after doing some investigating my oil pick up tube is touching slightly to the pan after market pan and pick up tube which said they were capatable but guess not

·
Registered
396 Posts
after doing some investigating my oil pick up tube is touching slightly to the pan after market pan and pick up tube which said they were capatable but guess not
When I bought my oil pump from Paul Kane Highflow He instructed me to make sure I had the right pickup to pan clearance! Suprizing he didn't mention it to you!

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
When I bought my oil pump from Paul Kane Highflow He instructed me to make sure I had the right pickup to pan clearance! Suprizing he didn't mention it to you!

I'd bet he did. I've got three pumps from Paul over the past couple of years..... he has told me each time.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Is it possible the gasket was left out between the pickup and the Oil Pump?
that would have to be one warped surface ..I've run pumps with and without the gasket.

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
When the gerotor mechanism is removed from our Stage 1 pump and compared to an OEM pump in the same state, the bypass piston in the Stage 1 will appear positioned differently than in the OEM pump because we re-engineer/re-locate the bypass piston in our oil pumps. This pump modification not only re-positions the bypass piston outside of the path of exiting oil, it also changes the pressure curve throughout the engine's oiling system over the engine's rpm range. The Stage 1 pump is, however, still functioning properly within the pump's bypass system as it should. Our pumps are inspected and tested at the end of their metamorphosis.

In the Ford 460, the oil pump is at the bottom-front of the engine and the oil pressure reading is taken at the rear-top of the engine, as far away from the oil pump as is possible. And so there are a multitude of possibilities in the Ford 460 for lost oil pressure between the pump and the "end of the line" where the pressure readings are ultimately taken. Oversights are usually made by engine builders who don't have an intimate understanding of the nuances in this engine's design. It is very highly likely that the pump is functioning exactly as it should and that your lost oil pressure issue is elsewhere in your newly rebuilt engine.

LO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts