Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i bought a 468 with brodix big brodie heads it has 100 passes on it but has been sitting for 2 years, do you think it will need rings and valve springs the valves were backed off for the whole time everything looks brand new but i dont have a spring tester, i know it will probably need a new jesel belt, but i really didnt want to tear it down if i dont have to. Oh ya it has manley double springs set up for solid roller

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
i would check the valve springs forsure and the rings cant you do a leak down to see if those need to be replaced?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I can do a leak down on it i have ran a few motors that have sat for a good long with no problems just was wondering, i will go ahead and put new springs a rings just to be sure

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Does a spring know how long its been held at any given spot? If you take a hacksaw blade and hold one end to the bench top, and flex the other end 1" up, how long do you have to hold it before it will stay there? Is 2 years in the "closed" position harder on the spring than 2 years use? Can you take a brand new spring, put it in a vice, crush it one time, and actually hold it there long enough for it to lose as much as a years use. It KNOWS the difference between 1 day in the full open position, compared to 1 week, 1 month, 1 year? Does it have a watch?, or a calender?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Im just going to change them and be done with it im not going to take any chances on them being fine or not.

·
Can't re-Member
1,990 Posts
Does a spring know how long its been held at any given spot? If you take a hacksaw blade and hold one end to the bench top, and flex the other end 1" up, how long do you have to hold it before it will stay there? Is 2 years in the "closed" position harder on the spring than 2 years use? Can you take a brand new spring, put it in a vice, crush it one time, and actually hold it there long enough for it to lose as much as a years use. It KNOWS the difference between 1 day in the full open position, compared to 1 week, 1 month, 1 year? Does it have a watch?, or a calender?
Your getting awfully hypothetical these day's.. :D

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I would invest in a $100 on the head spring tester, good tool to have. Pull the pan and check the bearings on No. 1 main and a couple of rods.

I've been helping a customer that bought a 430CID Yates headed SBF that was suppose to be running. I can tell you this thing has been a nitemare. 400# seat pressure and .083" pushrods.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Im going to check the bearings, i just dont know alot about valves springs and was trying to get a little help on them and i got a bunch of smartass shit like always

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
If they backed the rockers off the springs should be ok but you need to check them. If you can get the cam specs then check with the cam company and see what the pressure should be. Proceed from there.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Springs

Thats what i though i will get the tool to check them,hey chris what cam would you us in this motor it has the big brodie 108cc chamber heads,13to1 compression, im running a team g with a 1050 i plan on twisting it up around 7200 in my canyon. The motor cam out of a dragster it has a comp 274R solid roller or i think thats right i will be home tonight and check to make sure.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
That head is 370cc's. Its a sewer pipe for 468 CID unless you are going to turn it 9500. It would be a very small camshaft. I'll runs some numbers if you want.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thats what was on it when i got it, this motor ran real good ran 4.90s in a dragster, i will get you the numbers off the heads when i get home tonight

1 - 15 of 15 Posts