Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Just Me
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got an engine put together for the family boat. Decided to put the 505 on hold until I see how the Ohio Crankshaft Stroker works and holds up. This engine is a 489 with 9.6:1 compression. It has peanut port heads (won't be spinning over 6000 RPM anyway), and decent to good parts in it. To get the most HP and TQ below 6000 RPM would taking it to the dyno be worth it?

The build is:
Performance 4 bolt main Chevy replacement block ID 1405445
Ohio Crankshaft 4.250 Forged Crank
Ohio Crankshaft CR919-35 H Beam rods
Pistons SRP Forged Flat top
Total seal rings and Cleveite Bearings
Heads are peanut port 286 casting # with Inconel valves and 2.0 intake/ 1.7 exhaust 102 cc bowls
Cam is Comp hyd roller .549/.567 lift 236/242 @ .050 dur 291/297 adv dur and a 110.0 lobe sep
crane roller lifters and roller rockers 1.7:1
Cloyes True Roller 9 keyway double timing gear set
Melling oil pump

Boat is a 21 foot Riviera Mini-day with a diverter and an A impeller. Previous top speed was 55 at 4500 RPM. I have the original 800 cfm Holley carb and the Holly intake matched to the peanut port heads. I have other intakes with more rise, but if it won't help the below 6000 power, why switch. The bottom end is strong enough to use power adders if I ever want to. Change the rings and I should be able to boost it if I ever decide I need the extra.

·
Village Idiot
3,533 Posts
How much does dyno time cost where you are? I love putting engines on the dyno as it is easier to catch something that may not be right, or you can know it is right when it comes off. Now if a dyno day was $400 I would do it. If $1,000 then I would skip it. Then again, for a cruiser, do you need the extra 15-20 hp you might discover on the dyno? The flip side is that you might learn some tricks from a good dyno operator. Anyway, not a clear answer, but some ideas for you to think on.

Paul

·
Just Me
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much does dyno time cost where you are? I love putting engines on the dyno as it is easier to catch something that may not be right, or you can know it is right when it comes off. Now if a dyno day was $400 I would do it. If $1,000 then I would skip it. Then again, for a cruiser, do you need the extra 15-20 hp you might discover on the dyno? The flip side is that you might learn some tricks from a good dyno operator. Anyway, not a clear answer, but some ideas for you to think on.

Paul
I agree it would help with piece of mind knowing the engine was put together right. I have an A impeller in the boat. The chat that I usually go to says I need 700 HP to hit 6000. If the engine can hit 600 around 6000 then I might have to change the impeller to a B or AB. After all when I’m out by myself I want to get as much as possible out of it. And yes with the family 55 was plenty, but 70 would be better. If the dyno shop is good with E85, I wouldn’t mind trying a pull with my step son’s 1050 corn carb from his pulling truck. E85 is plentiful around these parts.
I’m waiting on a call back to find out rates. One shop was eager to put it on their dyno until I said boat. Seems they neglected to mention they only had a chassis dyno when I asked about an engine dyno.

·
Just Me
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where are you located again? I was thinking it's one of the states that starts with "I"?
Iowa, the one state that won't run short on E85. Have you used Ohio Crankshaft before and how well do they work/hold up?

·
Some guy
3,648 Posts
I believe I have only run one of those in the past, their "billet" model BBC, no issues. Keep in made they are still Chinese even though they have an American sounding name, same as "Eagle"

Only reason I asked your location, I ran an engine on a dyno in Twin Falls, Idaho one time and was happy with his operation there.

·
Just Me
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I found one shop in Des Moines that will break it in and tune it on the dyno for $600 plus parts and fuels if they provide. Sounds like a deal, but I have to wait 2 weeks for a slot. I told them it was a jet boat and I was trying to get the most usable HP given the approximate limits by rpm and HP created by the pump. They said if I have a 2 piece timing cover they will explore what the cam timing will do to get me where I want to be. I just don't see getting to 6000 RPM with an A impeller. But getting close will make me feel good about using the peanut port heads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts