Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
It's good to be alive
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody make anything for the 496? Crank, rods, pistons? There a lot of them out there. I know JE will make custom pistons (but pricey) and Raylar sells a Mahle (which I wouldn't buy) and I think a standard 6.7 rod will work but what about the crank?

Any positive input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Anybody make anything for the 496? Crank, rods, pistons? There a lot of them out there. I know JE will make custom pistons (but pricey) and Raylar sells a Mahle (which I wouldn't buy) and I think a standard 6.7 rod will work but what about the crank?

Any positive input would be appreciated.
496 Chevy?
If so, hell yes...everyone makes stuff..off the shelf stuff.
Wags

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I belive 8.1 is just a metric measure of a 496. doesn't mean your chev was made in tokyo.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Actually it is made here but might as well be made in Tokyo. Not 1 part from a conventional BBC will work on an 8.1. It has been refered to as a Gen 7 BBC. It is all together different. I would suggest building a Mark IV or Gen VI and replace the whole thing. Just my .02
Any other input?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Gen 7 is a new one on me??? Oh so were takin a from the factory 496. O.K. my bad.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I believe 8.1L (496) VORTEC Gen-7 might help.

I know the crank is different - only in the fact that the Gen-7 has a reluctor wheel for the crank sensor. I know people have cut it off to use the crank as a stroker in Gen-6 and below.

I think anyone (Callies, Lunati, Crower, etc) will whip you up a crank.

You might check with AZ S&M, I know you're familiar with their intake, they have built a few big-inch Vortecs.

Several cams out there. Comp and Crane, just to name two.

·
steelcomp was here
26,516 Posts
If they haven't already, they're going to stop production on that engine since it's such a morphadite. You might be money ahead switching to a conventional BB Chev.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts