Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
It's good to be alive
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know why you couldn't just run regular CMI's on a 496 (8.1 metric). What is special about the "496" CMI's besides the stock bracket mounts? Thanks

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Exh water temp sensors. One in each side. I always wondered that, too. I don't see why someone couldn't put a fitting in-line with one of the water hoses that connects the elbow to the lower portion. That should give adequate water temp readings for the exhaust and you could fit the sensor into the fitting(s).

·
It's good to be alive
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exh water temp sensors. One in each side. I always wondered that, too. I don't see why someone couldn't put a fitting in-line with one of the water hoses that connects the elbow to the lower portion. That should give adequate water temp readings for the exhaust and you could fit the sensor into the fitting(s).[/quote

Well since I replaced the Motorola with a MEFI-4 and don't use the sensors, I am all good!!

BTW, picking up my heads (stock) with some work done on them. Will flow next week and let you know how they do. If you recall, the stock heads flow just as good, if not a little better, than the Raylars up to 0.50" lift. They are flat after that. Will let you know.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Exh water temp sensors. One in each side. I always wondered that, too. I don't see why someone couldn't put a fitting in-line with one of the water hoses that connects the elbow to the lower portion. That should give adequate water temp readings for the exhaust and you could fit the sensor into the fitting(s).[/quote

Well since I replaced the Motorola with a MEFI-4 and don't use the sensors, I am all good!!

BTW, picking up my heads (stock) with some work done on them. Will flow next week and let you know how they do. If you recall, the stock heads flow just as good, if not a little better, than the Raylars up to 0.50" lift. They are flat after that. Will let you know.
Outstanding. I still haven't put on my 1.75 Scorpion rollers. I am curious to see what those do. It's going to be a little work, as I got some 1.10" tall standard BBC valve cover spacers, so that I can keep the coils on the covers. I need to machine those spacers down to about .75" as they don't need to be that tall. I also will need to address the one bolt on each side that doesn't line up with standard BBC.

I had talked to Ben at AZS&M about a 4B conversion. Yes, you have done away with the temp sensors, so you are just a standard BBC as far as the exhaust knows. :D

·
It's good to be alive
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Outstanding. I still haven't put on my 1.75 Scorpion rollers. I am curious to see what those do. It's going to be a little work, as I got some 1.10" tall standard BBC valve cover spacers, so that I can keep the coils on the covers. I need to machine those spacers down to about .75" as they don't need to be that tall. I also will need to address the one bolt on each side that doesn't line up with standard BBC.

I had talked to Ben at AZS&M about a 4B conversion. Yes, you have done away with the temp sensors, so you are just a standard BBC as far as the exhaust knows. :D

I just went through the rocker deal with a guy here in town. Got him the ARP studs, he used the comp cromoly rockers and cut down the nuts and re-machined the step back into them. They fit under the stock covers just fine. Or you could buy my coil relocation brackets/kit and clean the looks of the motor up and call it a day:D

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I just went through the rocker deal with a guy here in town. Got him the ARP studs, he used the comp cromoly rockers and cut down the nuts and re-machined the step back into them. They fit under the stock covers just fine. Or you could buy my coil relocation brackets/kit and clean the looks of the motor up and call it a day:D
I know, I know. We've been through this before. My subfloor is right at the level where the coils would be. The engine is somewhat precision-fit in that area. Plus, I want to keep it "stock" looking - sleeper.

I have the ARP studs, but really wanted to run the Scorpions. It won't be that hard, I just have to make time for it. Winter project.

·
It's good to be alive
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I know, I know. We've been through this before. My subfloor is right at the level where the coils would be. The engine is somewhat precision-fit in that area. Plus, I want to keep it "stock" looking - sleeper.

I have the ARP studs, but really wanted to run the Scorpions. It won't be that hard, I just have to make time for it. Winter project.
My kit relocates the coils to the back of the cylinder heads, not below the exhaust like brand X (and they are half the price).

·
New here
4,219 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts