Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have agreed to service a buddy's boat and am looking for advise on the procedures. The boat is a 2004 Baja 27' with a 496 ho mag. This beast is a little different than the jets I mess with. Do I use the suction tool thru the dip stick or is there another method. A link to a service manual or any advise you can share would be great thanks, SJ

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I have agreed to service a buddy's boat and am looking for advise on the procedures. The boat is a 2004 Baja 27' with a 496 ho mag. This beast is a little different than the jets I mess with. Do I use the suction tool thru the dip stick or is there another method. A link to a service manual or any advise you can share would be great thanks, SJ
Unscrew the drain plug of the boat itself. There is a chain attached. Keep pulling until you see the drain hose. Stick it in a pan that can hold 9 QUARTS. I messed up and put it in a pan that holds 7. What a mess.

Oh, and start it draining and go to bed. It takes a month of Sundays. Overnight works, though.

·
custom boat lover
498 Posts
Unscrew the drain plug of the boat itself. There is a chain attached. Keep pulling until you see the drain hose. Stick it in a pan that can hold 9 QUARTS. I messed up and put it in a pan that holds 7. What a mess.

Oh, and start it draining and go to bed. It takes a month of Sundays. Overnight works, though.
If you can get the oil really hot then I have had it out in less then 30 min before doing it this way, One time I had to do a oil test to a engine and I was running it for long time on the hose, Then I pulled the oil hose out and set it up for the over night thing thinking I was going to go home and look at it in the AM still draining, And when I went to see how it was doing before I left the shop I was shocked to find it 100% done draining before I could even walk out the door with in 30 min.:)devil

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Thanks for the help how about the drive?
Pull the prop, see drain screw at the bottom of the prop area.

Pull drain screw.

Go to bed.

Hook pump (several types) to drain hole.

Fill drive with a good synthetic lube from the bottom. This pushes all of the air out of the drive housing. Keep filling until the drive reservoir is where you want it.

Put drain plug back in.

Put prop back on with fresh grease on splines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts