Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on how much wear is ok? First time changing, Two summers on the impeller. Looks good, no pieces gone, just not sure about housing. Thanks

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Basically, any deep grooves, and it needs to be changed. If it wasn't overheating before, I wouldn't worry about it. Install the new impeller and run it.

Darrell.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My advice is Just Change it.

Or pay sum nutback tow boat driver later.

Cheap insurance if it has grooves in the bottom, just change it now.

Cheers

·
Registered
463 Posts
Get the whole kit and change the impeller, housing, and seals. Keep the old ones in the boat. May save your a$$ some time. Last trip out, it meant 3 days of boating instead of two :)

Good for you to learn anyway. Make sure you have all of the tools that you need in your boat tool box to fix it on the water.

·
detachable member
819 Posts
60 hrs on my housing..........but have changed the impeller at the start of boating time every year
get the top half resurfaced and reassemble

dont forget to check the heat exchanger for sand and rocks...get the gaskets and orings for that too

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I have repair kits in stock for the 496 pumps. No need for a new pump. Installs in just a few minutes with only a little grinding to the housing in 3 small areas to make up for the difference of the stainless steel wear plates. Will last alot longer than the orginal housing did and if needed just replace with individual pieces or another kit if needed. Complete kit with O.E.M. Mercruiser Impeller. $ 140.00 plus freight from San Diego. :)hand

1 - 7 of 7 Posts