Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an aftermarket computer that is tunable for the Merc 496? I am going to rebuiild after the season and will be bumping the compression and HP numbers. Can I use the stock computer or an aftermarket, or is it easier to just put a carb on it???

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
No carb set up for that motor. Suggs huh ?
Performance market skipped over this engine, other than 1 - Raylar - which has a ton of stuff for it. I believe www.raylar.com

·
It's good to be alive
1,526 Posts
Skip the Raylar stuff IMO. ASM has a kit with a new intake, throttle body, fuel rail and Mefi-4 computer which they will flash to your build. Simple bolt on. I put the HO (I had a Mag 375hp vs425hp) cam and this kit on my 496 about 150 hours ago (motor already had 200hrs) and it runs great. Stick with FI.

I am now taking some stock 496 heads (which flowed as good if not better than the Raylars to 0.50", at which point they went flat and the Raylars kept going, and putting 2.25" intakes, little bigger exhaust, blending the seats, port match with the ASM manifold, good rockers and putting a better cam in it. I will let you know how the heads flow and the dyno results. BTW, better insides also with a little higher compression.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
No, there is no carb intake for Gen-7s BBCs

If you don't want to go a full intake setup like Franky suggested / a good happy medium would be AZSMs conversion to MEFI-4B. Around $1500 gets you a harness, ECM, and tuning software to unlock/lock the ECM. I inquired about this a year or so ago and that is one of the options they offer.

Someone around here would probably want your old PCM555 ECM as a backup. They are pretty pricey brand new.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Really? What are they worth?
Hell, I think new they are a grand or so. If someones goes south, they would want another one for half that.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Not to mention, that Raylar stuff can get pretty spendy.

They don't like to admit it, but the basic kit installed and no exhaust upgrade is going run right around 11K... 14-15K with good exhaust.

Do yourself a favor, stay with efi.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts