Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oaky fellas we are thinking of building a 555 ci mill for our tx-19

we have a 496 set-up with roughly 700hp.

here is my main questions.

1. we have brodix bb2-plus sts cnc fully ported heads.
will these be sufficient enough for the 555 mill?

i have already talked to chris about a new cam profile:D

it will re-use the brodix intake and the 1050 dominator carb as well.

what kinda hp gains are we looking at by doing this??

is it gonna be worth the money?

any tips or advice will be due noted,thanks travis

p.s i would like to make as much hp as possible in the lower rpm range 6000-6300rpm range.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
not worth the effort unless you guys plan on building more compression than you have been. my lil 505 4.25 put it on kevins scott shairoff pro built 4.25 stroke 555 last summer , after i got that pump hooking up, he never wanted to race again:D we were sprayin the same amount, so you can't use that arguement:p

Attachments

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I have a set of bb2plus heads on a 557, when I asked(how much to small the heads were), answers ranged from they will be fine to 5400 r's to 6300 r's.
Needless to say I will be all ears on this one.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not worth the effort unless you guys plan on building more compression than you have been. my lil 505 4.25 put it on kevins scott shairoff pro built 4.25 stroke 555 last summer , after i got that pump hooking up, he never wanted to race again:D we were sprayin the same amount, so you can't use that arguement:p

kevins mill was fine,his boat was the problem:)hand

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a set of bb2plus heads on a 557, when I asked(how much to small the heads were), answers ranged from they will be fine to 5400 r's to 6300 r's.
Needless to say I will be all ears on this one.

are yours the cnc ported heads like ours?

i have heard around 6300 myself:)

this will be a pump gas mill like the 496 is.

no race fuel for the ole man:(:(

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
kevins mill was fine,his boat was the problem:)hand
he wasn't the only 1 that day;) 540's ,a 598bbc, couple blown 555's, and the lil 4.25 stroked on by em. stay with what you guys have and just spray the damn thing:)devil:)grn

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
he wasn't the only 1 that day;) 540's ,a 598bbc, couple blown 555's, and the lil 4.25 stroked on by em. stay with what you guys have and just spray the damn thing:)devil:)grn
tom we are scared to;)it is a 2 bolt main.he is making around 700 then spray 200 plus on that,im thinking some shits goona come loose,am i wrong:)bulb

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
betta yet, talk your pops into dropping compression and let's stick a hairdyer or 2 on it, we'll get mark to fab up some headers:)bulb

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
tom we are scared to;)it is a 2 bolt main.he is making around 700 then spray 200 plus on that,im thinking some shits goona come loose,am i wrong:)bulb
dude, you seriously can't be scared after all i sprayed last summer on a 13 to 1 2bolt with a 450hp shot:D throw in some new main studs, line hone it and let er eat:)grn:)devil

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
have ole bill watch this and tell him 1400hp on pump gas would be a breeeeeze with that same shortblock:)bulb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn7iTcjUmTo

10 to 1 you could prob make 10-12lbs of boost on pump gas goin thru a good air to water intercooler.
im sorry tom,but niether one of us want any of that alien looking shit hanging off our mills.

we are just living in the past i guess:p

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
im sorry tom,but niether one of us want any of that alien looking shit hanging off our mills.

we are just living in the past i guess:p
lol, they'll never get close nuff to see any of it:)bulb;) it was a big change for billy to go from that injected blown 540 all big/bad looking and shitt but he's a believer now.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, mine are not cnc'd. Good luck on the build ...keep us posted.
well we are starting to get mixed feelings over this build.

just how much more power could we make is the question:)bulb

100 plus more hp,we would do it,50-60 not worth the money???

·
Registered
335 Posts
build

I personally think people are way to conservative when it comes to compression in a boat If a street car motor is 10-1 safe how is it that in a jet boat especially 100 water temp aluminum heads (always considered got for 1 point) is still what most people run and consider safe? I know of iron headed 12-1 deals that run and run on 91, don't know if I'd go that far, but 11.5 with the right cam I know DNE is a master of that just my 2 cents sure chris knows as well on the bleed off

·
just a ski boat with bark
2,884 Posts
well we are starting to get mixed feelings over this build.

just how much more power could we make is the question:)bulb

100 plus more hp,we would do it,50-60 not worth the money???
For what it's worth IMO 496 to 555 is only 59 cid more so to get at least 100 more hp your going to have to change some other things. Research and see if your heads are the right choice for the upgrade, if so add a little more radical cam with more aggresive ramp rates that is designed to work with your combination. Compression always helps and I do believe in running that up and using the cam to bleed off some cylinder pressure to run lesser fuel. But honestly for all the money your looking at investing will it be worth it for another 100hp? How much would it cost you to build up your 496 bottom end to spray say a 250hp shot of nitrous on it? Adding splayed main caps, align bore/hone the mains would that allow you to spray some nitrous?

Just my .02
Loren

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Travis, there is a guy here that just put in a 555 with Brodix BB2s big cam and it has over 10.1! But close to what you are talking about made I think a little over 800+ ponys! If you have the cam to do it juice it! WT:)devil

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
heres the problem with nos.my ole man is 65 and likes hp and fast things.

he will have to pay attention to bottle pressures,ect.and that is 1 more thing he really doesn't need to worry about.

he wants to make real hp and just mash the gas,lol!!!

i am starting to lean towards 13-1 or 14-1 compression and some race fuel,hell its not alot more money for it.we have been talking just how much more would it really cost him?

he can go threw 20 gallons a weekend or less.he doesnt take it out every weekend as he has other boats ti use.

so as of now im kinda up in the air as of what to do???????

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.