Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a used boat that has a 525 merc in it. About 150hrs, 06 model. Anything I should be watching for in particular? Not real familiar with this engine. Thanks in advance.
Terry

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Just the usual boat stuff. The 525's are great engines. No real issues at 150hrs to be overly concerned about.

Darrell.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Looking at a used boat that has a 525 merc in it. About 150hrs, 06 model. Anything I should be watching for in particular? Not real familiar with this engine. Thanks in advance.
Terry
They are horrible motors... I would highly recommend purchasing the boat and trading engines straight across for my low hour 496HO. I'll even take care of the labor cost for the swap :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input, I have not actually seen it yet, so the swap could work depending on what I find,,LOL.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Terry

I'm not 100% sure on this (or the part) so perhaps someone with a 525 could chime in...

Co-worker of mine has a motor from that year and he's on his 3rd complete. Something to do with head gaskets and over-heating/warping heads.

Like I said, not certain on the parts, just know he's had ass loads of issues in his boat.

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
Terry
Great motor package. The only issue I've seen or heard about them is with the headers corroding in salt water. If it's a fresh water boat you should be fine.

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,414 Posts
I'm not 100% sure on this (or the part) so perhaps someone with a 525 could chime in...

Co-worker of mine has a motor from that year and he's on his 3rd complete. Something to do with head gaskets and over-heating/warping heads.

Like I said, not certain on the parts, just know he's had ass loads of issues in his boat.
aluminum heads, on a iron block. Takes a toll on a head gasket different warm up rates or something. This is what a merc mechanic told me once

I have an 06 525, almost 300 hours. Not one problem. You should change the water pump once a year, they go out like clock work. It is cheep insurance, plus grease the shaft in the out drive, and change all fluids regularly. This is all I have done and it runs flawless. Burns about 1 quart of oil every other trip (not sure on hours), done this since new and was told its within spec

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Ask to see records of sellers maintenance. There is a 100 hour inspection requirement to remove the intake plenum chamber and re-torque some bolts.
Go to any certified Merc dealer and they can show you what maintenance should have been done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts