Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Merlin III Mark IV CHEVROLET CLONE BLOCK - 540 CUBIC INCH short deck block – has been ran for less than 500 miles on street– (piston failure) All other parts of the rotating assembly are good and ready for new piston/ring set and put back together. Will sell all short block parts as unit or separate the parts however you want.
The motor was built for a blower installation with 9.0 compression ratio, but since the pistons have to be changed you can build it however you want. The cam is the only part that needs to change if not for a blower. Will sell it separately.

ALL TOGETHER ONE PRICE: $4000 includes block, crank, rods, cam, timing gears and chain, balancer, oil pan and pump and pickup, 168 tooth flywheel SFI rated, HD Starter - (No heads or top end) PICKUP ONLY near Stockton CA

Separate Parts List and COST EACH:
Merlin III BARE BLOCK $3000
SCAT 4340 Steel Crank P/N 445425 $700
Eagle H Beam Rods $500 Set
Straub Technology Custom Cam $500 w/ Timing chain and gears (Can provide Cam card)
Melling High Vol Oil Pump $50
HD Mini Starter $100
Flywheel 168t (automatic type for Vdrive) $75
Street Oil Pan $50
Vdrive Oil Pan $200

Have many other parts for a complete engine build from this engine, just ask for what you need. Call for pics 91SIX . 79ZERO . 7322

Attachments

·
Registered
806 Posts
540 Questions.

Bore and stroke numbers please.
How large can this block be safely bored?
Rod length?
Did the piston failure cause any cylinder bore damage?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bore and stroke numbers please.
How large can this block be safely bored?
Rod length?
Did the piston failure cause any cylinder bore damage?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Hi Paul,
Here is a spec sheet on the merlin blocks, should have all your info needed. http://www.pbm-erson.com/UserFiles/...III_Block_Specifications_and_Instructions.pdf
The part number on my block is 085010 - Final Bore is 4.5" and 4.25" Stroke

Crank is SCAT 4340 Forged 4.25 Stroke P/N 445425

The rods are 6.385" length Eagle 4340 Forged H Beam

All 8 pistons fragged at the weak end at the valve indent from too much boost (and wrong piston application).... very small pieces all went out the exhaust valves and open header exhaust so there is no damage to the cyl walls or heads. I would do a hone on it no matter if you are taking it all apart, but it was running good when I took it out, just A LOT of blow by out the valve cover breakers, so I knew something was wrong.... The motor was dynoed at 693 HP @ 5900 and 630 TQ @5200 when it was built in 2018. I added a HUGE centrifugal blower to it (15 lbs boost) for an adder of 200hp and the pistons couldnt handle it.

Thank you

1 - 3 of 3 Posts