Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Precision Craft Marine
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just an idea. What do you guys and gals think about a capsuled 6 second class?
This would be a hydro based class for the guys or gals that have the power to run, and the top alky guys or gals that do not want to go through the bullets trying to compete with the big wallet.
This can also be a (so to speak) no breakout pro mod class, or maybe a place to run a top fuel flat? This was brought up to me by a customer that would love to run top alky hydro, but does not want to kill his motors keeping up with the next guy.
I thought that it makes sense, so what do you think? comments?
I know from a spectators view that bracket racing is not as enjoyable as heads up pro racing, but lets face the facts, its too expensive to class race, and everybody i have ever known eventually go's broke trying to.
This is just discussion.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Joe, there is talk of a new alky class back here. NDBA stuff. (SDBA and SLDBA).
More or less of a BAH class but cubic inch limit. No screw chargers..standard roots 14-71.
This seems to be a decent compromise. Screw blowers are $$. I would imagine they will also limit overdrive..otherwise new blower/stripped every couple of passes.
Just talk for now. The NDBA meets in Nov. I think.
Wags

BTW...good idea.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yes to both. I already have a Kurtis which will need a capsule, and I just picked up an aluminum KB.

TAH is way too expensive as is. Even if I had the money I wouldn't spend it on that. The SDBA idea is attractive also. Anything cheaper is good for increasing the number of competitors. When I step-up I will go pro-mod first. But a class beyond that is a great idea. Some of those guys are well equipped for 6.50 or 6.00 consistently and they seem restrained to 7 seconds.

·
"It's HONDO, honey"
1,724 Posts
I agree with guys restrained to seven seconds. I'm in need of a capsule now and run a 73 hondo shovelnose, blown alky, and a lenco. Does do the boat much justice to de tune it. 2x4 throttle stop :D

Both great ideas to answer the question, keeping the cost low attracts newbies, plus with the way of the economy is... cheap gotta blunge a little more:)hand

·
Registered
138 Posts
There is alot of room between PM and TAH for capsule boats. But are there enough boats? I can't remember anybody running the 6.50 bracket at Ming.

·
a.k.a WHIPLASH #180
1,099 Posts
There is alot of room between PM and TAH for capsule boats. But are there enough boats? I can't remember anybody running the 6.50 bracket at Ming.
IMO , this is a very good point. How many Pro Mods show up on a regular basis and splitting that class, how will that effect the class. Heads up racing is great for spectators, but a 2-3 boat class is very boring.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
This is just an idea. What do you guys and gals think about a capsuled 6 second class?
This would be a hydro based class for the guys or gals that have the power to run, and the top alky guys or gals that do not want to go through the bullets trying to compete with the big wallet.
This can also be a (so to speak) no breakout pro mod class, or maybe a place to run a top fuel flat? This was brought up to me by a customer that would love to run top alky hydro, but does not want to kill his motors keeping up with the next guy.
I thought that it makes sense, so what do you think? comments?
I know from a spectators view that bracket racing is not as enjoyable as heads up pro racing, but lets face the facts, its too expensive to class race, and everybody i have ever known eventually go's broke trying to.
This is just discussion.
no comment on your idea, but as a spectator, the best race i saw last weekend was the 8 second final between tom and tony.

·
Distinguished Member
5,783 Posts
I aint got a dog in this fight, but I think it's a great idea. I'd even say drop Pro Mod since particpation is minimal. The PM guys want to come out, let em drop the hammer and see what it will do. Most have serious motor combos that are backed way down to run 7.0's anyway... ... 6.0's should be over 200 and maybe help the spectator draw.

·
Amber Racing Services
4,341 Posts
I've talked about this for a couple of years

I think there are a lot of Pro Mod's that could run the number if the index was 6 seconds ... re-name the current Pro Mod class (7 second bracket) to something else and bump the number to 6.0

Great idea.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
What oil pan are you running on the KB? :))eek:))

Yes to both. I already have a Kurtis which will need a capsule, and I just picked up an aluminum KB.

TAH is way too expensive as is. Even if I had the money I wouldn't spend it on that. The SDBA idea is attractive also. Anything cheaper is good for increasing the number of competitors. When I step-up I will go pro-mod first. But a class beyond that is a great idea. Some of those guys are well equipped for 6.50 or 6.00 consistently and they seem restrained to 7 seconds.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I bet a lot of PM guys would be surprised that their "6.0 second capable" capsule boat is not capable of repeated and consistent 6.0 runs. (just like the 100 mph river jet boat out there)
There are some that could...not as many as the PM guys would lead you to believe..at least back here in the midwest.
It would take a lot of HP to step up from 7 to 6.
With that being said...I have no dog in this fight either. It would separate the men from the boys. Bring it on.
Wags

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
no comment on your idea, but as a spectator, the best race i saw last weekend was the 8 second final between tom and tony.
Really? The hydro went under by .15. the 8.0 semis were alot closer, few hundreths margain of victory, no red lights or break outs with both boats running 8.032. Great race.

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
From a spectator standpoint our last race was pretty much boring, had some friends who are hardcore into all forms of racing literally sleeping through the whole day on Sunday, they were bored. Something needs to be done. Some capsuled stuff wether 6 or 7 sec. would be awesome.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
From 7.00 to 6.00 is a giant step. Your only a couple tenths away from some of the TAH's except for Kent and Kebin. I don't think any of the guys with Chevy's can do it. 6.50's maybe. I like the idea of an open restricted class (run all out) but how would that be done? Engine CI, blower size/type, compression limit, boat weight, under/overdrive both blower and gear, trans and or clutch, 1,2 or 3 speed, alot of things to check and regulate.

I do know by standing on the sidelines and listening to spectators, they really don't like bracket racing or understand it. What they like and understand is who gets their first should be the winner!

·
Precision Craft Marine
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pro mod is a bad ass class, and should never be changed. Neil is right, spectators really do not understand brackets, and therefore, it is boring.
I have been more entertained watching kids race 10 ft hydros at our local race tracks,than brackets. What really makes it fun is hipe, the hydro vs the jet, the flat vs the outboard, Dodge vs Chevy and so on.
The six second deal was just a question, and it really should be directed at the TAH guys, and some pro mod guys running BAE power. This may be an answer to not killing as many parts, or people for that matter. The TAH class is smaller now than it has been in years. It does boil down to the coin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mr.Shelfo I was thinking about the 6.0 second class, but I think I agree on the 6.50 class a little better. Of coarse anything so I don't have to race you!!!!! That is the only reason I have not race in a few years I am too scared of you and your dad.

Please PM me your e-mail address so I can send pictures of your boat from the past race I attened. as of right know I am kind of out of the country at this moment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts