1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
buddy just bought a real nice 18ft jet
he doesn't think its fast enough.
i'm not saying what brand for anonymity, but its clean and blueprinted
motor is a 468 BBC with a solid-lifter cam twin holly dbl pmprs and a tunnel ram and basetts.
dominator pump with ride plate, droop and place div. i don't know what shoe or impeller so don't ask, neither does he.
hits 5300 at 63 mph at real close to sea level on a hot day...
he thinks it should be closer to the 6k rev limiter, 53 hundo sounded like a lot for big cube motor...

i know the bone-stock southwind hits high 50s at 4500ish with a bbf

·
SWDBA
25 Posts
I could be wrong but FWIW that doesn't sound right. My first jet was a Hornet 19', no bottom work, no shoe, no ride plate, had a loader and diverter (stock berk pump), fairly heavy boat, old tired 454 short block, edelbrock aluminum heads and mild cam, air gap intake, 750cfm carb.....nothing special.........I hit 62 @4800RPM, heres the kicker....Altitude 5000 feet!!!!

With his engine at sea level and in a 18', seems like he should be going faster...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could be wrong but FWIW that doesn't sound right. My first jet was a Hornet 19', no bottom work, no shoe, no ride plate, had a loader and diverter (stock berk pump), fairly heavy boat, old tired 454 short block, edelbrock aluminum heads and mild cam, air gap intake, 750cfm carb.....nothing special.........I hit 62 @4800RPM, heres the kicker....Altitude 5000 feet!!!!

With his engine at sea level and in a 18', seems like he should be going faster...
Right!?
how do the impeller letters match up? whats the diff bet. a, b aa, yadayada?

·
the padawan
66 Posts
i second jetboat.... hell we could be talking about a mini day.... and they make a difference, every single one makes a difference.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, lets just say its not a day cruiser or mini-day, but you knew that b/c its 18 feet, but its also not a tahiti or hawaiian

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ok, I'll play. If its a tight pump spinning an A at about 500 hp in say an 18 gullwing, you should be hitting 80mph.

·
Registered
178 Posts
sell it

buddy just bought a real nice 18ft jethe doesn't think its fast enough.i'm not saying what brand for anonymity, but its clean and blueprintedmotor is a 468 BBC with a solid-lifter cam twin holly dbl pmprs and a tunnel ram and basetts.dominator pump with ride plate, droop and place div. i don't know what shoe or impeller so don't ask, neither does he.hits 5300 at 63 mph at real close to sea level on a hot day...he thinks it should be closer to the 6k rev limiter, 53 hundo sounded like a lot for big cube motor...i know the bone-stock southwind hits high 50s at 4500ish with a bbf
I've got a mild 460 in a 20' jet boat 65 mph with diverter only at 5000 ft above sea level probably do 80 at sea level with more carb

·
Registered
746 Posts
Someone say Oldsmobile ? ? ?

basically stock 455 in a 18' Kona 67 mph @ 4800 at 626 fasl A impeller JE pump

·
BTC cardcarrying member
1,075 Posts
Hi 50s @ 4500 RPM 63mph @ 5300 RPM

buddy just bought a real nice 18ft jet
he doesn't think its fast enough.
i'm not saying what brand for anonymity, but its clean and blueprinted
motor is a 468 BBC with a solid-lifter cam twin holly dbl pmprs and a tunnel ram and basetts.
dominator pump with ride plate, droop and place div. i don't know what shoe or impeller so don't ask, neither does he.
hits 5300 at 63 mph at real close to sea level on a hot day...
he thinks it should be closer to the 6k rev limiter, 53 hundo sounded like a lot for big cube motor...

i know the bone-stock southwind hits high 50s at 4500ish with a bbf
Sounds like a 150 shot to me on a Bone-Stock Southwind. Just sayin...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts