Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Eliminated
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, somebody school me on 1970's Eliminator (18ft) jet boats. Ive heard the names Sprint and Liberty come up lately and I am curious as to what they look like. Anybody have any pics? Ive already done a search but Im not sure if I found what Im looking for. :)

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Very good V bottom hull boats. This one is a 1978 Eliminator SS Bubbledeck. The SS is because it came from the factory with headers and doesn't have any holes for through transom exhaust. This one has no plywood for a floor from the factory and just uses the bottom of the hull as the floor.

Attachments

·
Registered
623 Posts
Heres a couple shots of my 73 sprint (under construction). I cant tell you anything about how it works on the water, but it should be there soon. This boat belonged to Busby on here so he can give more info on how it worked.

This is when Busby owned it :))eek:))

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Propless what year is that? I've never seen a sprint before. Where the bubble decks more a pleasure boat and the sprints designed to go roundy round? Anyone... Oh I forgot to ask did the cav plates come stock or??

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Propless

I started to work a Eliminator in 1972 that is when we moved from Huntington Park to the Anaheim shop. When I started we had two models in the 18 foot catagory. The 18 foot deep vee and shortly after that we made the bubble deck. That was a Southwind bottom with a delta pad and Sanger bubble deck. This boat was a very popular 18 and the deep vee kinda faded out of production. Shortly there after Hallett came out with an 18 semi vee which really looked like v drive but also came with a jet drive. Bob the owner of Eliminator has always had the eye for a good seller and also came up with a set of molds and we started building the 18 semi vee. This is the model you have.This boat has a lot of rocker in the bottom like most of the v drives of it's day.The boat is not high horsepower friendly unless the water is like glass. The bottom design is a very shallow vee with a lot of rocker this is why we put plate's on it was to control the porpoise at low speeds. Do not take the keel fin out of this boat because it will not turn without it. The first time we took it to the water without the fin we tried to turn and it just wanted to slide sideways.No droop snoot on this boat and a Place diverter is a MUST. The Sprint came later that was the 18 bubble stretched 1 foot at the transom with a Beismeyer deck.I think that Jan Lighting mfg bought the Liberty boat line and worked a deal with Eliminator to build his glass and with that agreement Eliminater could also sell that model .Another popular model was the 19 Formula but that was after I left and started my own business.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Propless what year is that? I've never seen a sprint before. Where the bubble decks more a pleasure boat and the sprints designed to go roundy round? Anyone... Oh I forgot to ask did the cav plates come stock or??

H20MOFO, Its a 73. As far as the plates I do believe they are original (Greg's post confirms that).

Thanks for the info Greg !! I have lots of questions for you !!! :D Sorry for any confusion , I was told this hull was considered a sprint.

·
Registered
239 Posts
here is mine 1978 just started with the rebuild trailer is done need to get rised white letter tires and baby moons. The motor is the original 460 being freshened up and every thing is being polished and put back to original. no more hot rod stuff just a boat that runs every time and is all stock!!!! I must be getting old!!!!!!!!:)devil

Attachments

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
tpm

You have an 18 bubble deck spyder package. Balsa floors flow coated with Russell ss tanks. A lot of times it came with a rail kit or a 4 point mounting system for the engine. This boat was one of the first boats to have gauge bezzels offered and they were made by Phil Bergeron who now has a shop in Phoenix AZ.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Greg S, everything is getting polished and lynn stevens is rigging it at dry doc marine. I know phil bergeron and he is a great guy just always a class act. I really do like this boat and had to have it flowed and buffed out could not stand to see it sit and rot. This hull seems very light any idea on the #

·
Eliminated
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A lot of info here. The reason I started this was because I was curious about my boat. It has been a few years but its finally out of storage and in the garage. There go my weekends. This is an old pic. I'll try to post better pics tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
My title says 73 but HIN says 74 and it is a bubble deck semi v no delta pad. What the heck is it and were did the bottom get splashed from? I have no subfloor, no parka just glass with carpet and ot headers never looks to have had thru transom exhaust. Boat rides great no porpoise at all at any speed. Any info would be great.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
oldelm

As circle racing became popular Tom Stolarz started racing for Eliminator and to competitive we built another 18 bubble with a rounded keel. As things happen the delta was fased out and the rounded keel 18 bubble became the boat to have. I should know I had 2 of them before I started racing the Daytona. Just a little more history as Bob got more involved in the 19 tunnel the bubble was kinda put out to pasture for quite awhile. It was brought back to life when Cliff Lotz started Caliber 1 boats.I again rigged a lot of Cliff's boats and one of them was the 18 bubble deck.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts