Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Howard

I'm sure it is a flat and not a runner, they are good solid hulls. Mine is a 18ft 64, as far as being worth fixing I would say yes, but you won't have a blazing 120mph boat, just a fun safe 75-85mph lake toy. Post up some pics then we can get a better idea of what you have to work with.:)devil

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
heres some pics... I mainly bought it for the Big Block Chevy enine parts that came with it, but I have been looking for a boat to build/restore... the guy I bought it from owned it since the mid 70s, it was last in the water in 85, he tore it down to restore, he capped it, and I think thats about it for the hull... It has a sweet trailer(minus the tires) anyways the guy bought my turn key Carrera and I ended up buying his... so what do you guys think? is it worth building or should I look for a better start?

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
That could be a sweet ride, but that depends on whether you want a project or something a little closer to turnkey. Check out Dragboatcity.com, there are a couple of really decent Howards on there for sale if that one is too much of a project for you.:D

·
Purple headed member
7,646 Posts
It has some delam in the floor... I think thats scaring me more than anything right now... how hard is it to fix? Im not scared of fiberglass, just not completely sure what Im getting myself into...:)sphss
Don't be afraid. When I got my Lavey it looked like this:

After lots of reading, asking questions of those who know and hours and hours of sanding they now look like this:

(I had just washed out the floors is why there is water on them)
This is how they look dry:

This boat had no delam, the floors were just ugly.
I am currently redoing the glass on my son's Hondo. I litterally cut out the old glass and peeled it right up. I am now re-glassing, sanding etc.
Basic point is, you can do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts