I am almost finished with my 2+ year repower/retrailer on my 74 Hondo runner "just plain nasty". I'll post up a timeline of pics if anybody is interested in seeing what my wife and I have done with it..
here is when I picked it up april 2013 from another board member
I took the strut out, sandblasted and clear coated and installed new bushings. then I started building my own aluminum pan and upgraded some things in the casale. along with an air shifter. this computer sucks I'll post more from work tomorrow.
got it off the old trailer to make it easier to work on and easier to move around the shop.
reinstalled the strut and started polishing stuff as it went back in.
it didn't have a prop release before due to the clutch but I just wanted to be safe so I put a new beaverfab unit in and got ahold of D21 for the shaft seal and safety collar. Also went to 1 3/8 top shaft and 1 1/8 lower.
when I bought the boat I had a 468 with old school GM aluminum heads set aside for it. later I found out that engine had the right casting numbers and date codes to be valuable to the camaro resto guys. so I got rid of that engine and started with a new dart big m with billet main caps.
now this is where the build started to slow to a crawl. I am not a rich man so it took me quite a while to gather up all the parts I wanted for this engine. it took about 18 months before the engine was back from the builder and in my garage.
here's what I ended up with: 540ci, callies crank, bill miller aluminum rods, JE 13.5:1 pistons, all ARP studs, Brodix 360's, Isky red zone solid roller lifters, Straub cam, Jesel belt drive. the rest is not very popular on flats at least from what ive seen but I have a buddy that runs asphalt and got me setup with an EFI deal. fast XFI, 2100 cfm throttle body, 120lb injectors.
then it was time to build a new trailer before I could drop the engine in the boat. I wanted a road dolly that rode low and looked the part but also something I could back into steep driveways and go over train tracks ect without dragging. I decided that air bags were going to be the best way to get everything I wanted. so I started buying parts and measuring the boat and measuring again and again.
then I started with a pile of steel tubing and started cutting and welding
I chose to sandblast the trailer and all its parts myself which was a mistake because it really sucked.
then on to paint. thankfully my father in law has a spray booth at his place.
after paint and 4 new shocks. my boat is old it needs a plush ride.
all new lights and wiring and a detachable tongue.
A forum community dedicated to performance boat owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about offshore racing, performance, modifications, builds, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!