Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, I am new to the forum so bare with me for the first few posts.

I recently bought a 24' SKV powerboat and was wondering if anyone had a little more info about these boats, if they're worth owning? basically do I have a good boat or not?

Also the boat is a direct drive so I didn't quite know where to post it so move it where needed. I figured the V drive was the closest thing to a direct drive.

But heres a little info on the boat.

1975 24' SKV day cruiser. 440 chrysler. Direct drive. has nice paint but the motor needed work. Had to put a new water pump on it and rebuild the other. Has 2 water pumps for some reason? can anyone shead some light on that? It has a nice cooling system on it with the heat exchanger.

here's the juicy stuff, picked the boat and trailer up for $800. Has good interior, no rips, the hull is solid, no holes. Engine did not run. Waterpump threw the bearing and turns out that was it. I swaped out the pump, put new batteries in it, drained the fuel tank and cleaned the lines. Turned the key and fired right up. Thing is a beast but I already love it to death. But cannot find out any info on the history of the boats. I read somewhere that Hallett bought the molds from SKV.
Here's some pics, lemme know what everyone thinks.

Thanks
John Cronin

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
There are not many of these boats around anymore thats for sure! My dad has owned a 1972 21ft SKV daycruiser since 1989. I cant really compare your boat to his. His is a jet and its got a 427 BBC. Also the hulls changed a year or two after 1972. His boat is round at the transom, flat on the bottom and rides like a flat bottom in rough water. I can't really complain because I grew up going to the lake in it. Over all the boat is good.

Yours looks like it should be a much better boat than his. A jet in that big of a boat means the cruizing rpms are much higher than would be with a prop. Also your boat doesnt look flat on the bottom, which leads me to think it will cut through rough water better.

Besides the above this boat is a classic! These boats are not around anymore. Go play and have fun with it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The two pumps I would guess, one is a raw water pump and the other is a water circulating pump. This setup is common on Ski tow boats such as CC, Mastercraft, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
What a 'smokin' deal you got there! Congrats! I'd say its close enough to a v-drive to hang out in these forums.

Don't know a lot of history regarding the SKV as a brand but do remember them being quite a beast of a boat. Some, no most that I recall were all jets (even the 24's) so lots of ponies and fuel required to make them go.

Looks like a solid piece and with the engine pushed forward I'd say that thing will jump onto plane with zero nose rise.

CC

PS, I'll give you a grand for it!

The two pump deal was fairly common. Accessory belt driven pump delivered the water to the block mounted (normal car style) pump and that one circulated through the block/t-stat/heat exchanger. I recall that car style pumps don't suck very well so the belt driven one does the 'sucking'!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

wow thanks for the feedback so quick! Sounds to me like I found a diamond in the rough, I have to admit I bought it to clean it up, get it running, and sell it for a profit, but working on it I gotta say I fell in love with it... from the length, color, and overall change from the 16ft Schuster Tahiti I had before it, this is my favorite boat I've owned yet.

Well I guess that sums it up. Im keepin it. My only issue is that it is no longer in the dmv system, but I have the title so I figure the bill will be under 400 bucks.

I also had another question on the cooling system..... There is a water "pick up" mounted under the motor on the V of the hull. There are also a couple of Ball valves under the crank pulley inside the engine compartment. I put two and two together and figured that if I turn the valves to a certain point, the boat draws cold water from the lake and dumps the hot water out the exhaust? Is this correct or is the "vent" looking thing on the V of the hull for something else. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Has 2 water pumps for some reason? can anyone shead some light on that? It has a nice cooling system on it with the heat exchanger.
Thanks
John Cronin
The two pumps I would guess, one is a raw water pump and the other is a water circulating pump. This setup is common on Ski tow boats such as CC, Mastercraft, etc.
The two pump deal was fairly common. Accessory belt driven pump delivered the water to the block mounted (normal car style) pump and that one circulated through the block/t-stat/heat exchanger. I recall that car style pumps don't suck very well so the belt driven one does the 'sucking'!
Ah fellas, tsk tsk :no: It has a closed system with a heat exchanger. The side pump moves water thru the exchanger and out the exhaust, the block mounted one circulates water thru the engine just like you car. Newbies!:rolleyes:
I also had another question on the cooling system..... There is a water "pick up" mounted under the motor on the V of the hull. There are also a couple of Ball valves under the crank pulley inside the engine compartment. I put two and two together and figured that if I turn the valves to a certain point, the boat draws cold water from the lake and dumps the hot water out the exhaust? Is this correct or is the "vent" looking thing on the V of the hull for something else. Thanks!
Yes that what the thing is for picking up water from the lake for the heat exchanger.

The boats were built by Gene Racine, and all of them were built like bank vaults. I think Jim Wilkes may be able to shed some light on them.
Not sure that Hallett had the molds. Could have been Howard.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I wouldn't push that MOPAR over 5K for any duration at all, and I'd guess that RPM will get you 55mph. Have you figured out if the trans has any under/over drive? If a Velvet drive, there should be a stamped plate on it that gives the ratio if any. Most Velvetdrives are 1:1 ratio so on a cruiser, id guess that each 100 RPM will net you 1 MPH.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I havent looked at the gear box, or bell housing? idk what you call it in boats, but I'll walk out to the shop when it quits raining. Curse this weather.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Ya, engine block, bellhousing then you'll probably find a Velvetdrive trans......I assume this boat has a transmission. In pix I didn't see a foot throttle so its an all in one single handle trans shift and throttle. On one side of the trans, facing up, will be a plate that was attached giving the serial # and trans ratio. It may in fact have something other than 1:1 as you don't have a v-drive box to change the gear ratio. My 24' Howard cruiser has a 1:1 velvet drive then a .04% underdriven Casale C-500 v-drive box.

Throw up some pix of whats 'under the hood'.

CC

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

ahh im ashamed of the looks of the motor. needs painted. I'll take some tomorrow in the day light. The boat is so far very reliable. I go out every day and crank it over and it startes right up. Has a tough time idling til it warms up though

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I hope you start it every day with the garden hose attached to the cooling system and are running water thru the new water pumps.............please say yes......

If not, you'll be pulling apart that belt driven sea pump and replacing another impeller.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

oh yes, the hose hasn't came unhooked since I parked it. But the motor is running a little hot according to an old Chrysler 440 Marine engine manual I found. It says that it should never run over 140 degrees, and it goes up to around 155. is the old book correct?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts