Performance Boats Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I take it your hooking the hose to the same side of the exchanger that the under hull pick up is.
It might run that warm on the hose. It might be that your pushing water thru the system even though the raw water pump has a bad impellor.

Before you take it out on a lake, you may what to take a short hose into a 5 gallon bucket to the same connection and see if the raw water pump will pull water in. If not, you need to open the pump and check the impellor. Really, if the boat has been sitting very long, you should check it anyway.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

When i pulled the pump the waterpump had the 2 impellors on it. Neither were ripped or torn but they were stuck to the housing, i think i may have disformed the rubber so I am going to replace them. Like you said, they should probably, the last sticker on the hull is from '05 but who knows when the last time it was in the water... Once the water level rises at our local resovoir, Lake Hodges i'm going to do a break in run. I always do the run to make sure the boat floats, haha, also test my truck to make sure it will launch aand retrieve the boat. I did a vertical hill test in town where I stop on a large sloped hill and then take off and the truck did fine. Just the length and overall beef of the boat worries me. I've read those chrysler 440 motors alone are 750lbs, plus a full fuel cell, the vessel, trailer, and assorted junk I take with me, I am right around maybe 1500-2000lbs? just a rough estimate. My brother and I can lift up the tounge of the trailer but it is a tandem axle. But...... oh! my truck is a '06 gmc sierra 1500.... non 4wd, 4.8l V8. What do you guys think? Will it get the job done, or should i start stocking it with fish food for the new artificial reef.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I'd bet a nice dinner that the total wet (all liquids) weight is 5,000+ lbs.

Probably outta just sell it to me now...............I gotta 3/4 ton to pull it with.

:D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

haha ohh no I have back up plans, but dang thats a pig. I better launch it with my dad's dually for the first time. '03 f350 7.3l

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
engine

So i've always built around the engine. Meaning that if the seats were torn I'd throw a t shirt on it and get to it later. I feel bad for this motor, it's been neglected for too long.

but here's the pictures as promised

Attachments

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
My 21' rayson with some fuel and coolers was 4200lbs on the scale. A 4.8 won't tow it very well unless you have some deep gears, like 4.56...

Seriously, you need to get to the surge brakes and make sure they are up to par, as well as the wheel bearings. Its' a real bummer to lose a wheel on the highway at 70 MPH (ask me how I know that!!!).

For certain make sure your truck's parking brake has been serviced! To tow a boat this size the lead vehicle needs posi, some reasonable horsepower, "towing gears", and REALLY good brakes. I can't emphasize the "BRAKES" too much. Make sure you can stop at freeway speeds with this heavy load, and that the boat is well secured to the trailer so it does not end up in your back seat as the result of a panic stop.

·
Some guy
3,649 Posts
Couple of links you may enjoy, ,one about when Hallett bought SKV from Gene Racine,, and another Youtube video of a restoration on an outdrive SKV. I was actually looking for a photo of "Big Red", an outdrive ski race SKV that Gene and his son Rene Racine ran at water ski races.

Hallet Boats History ??? - Page 2

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

Yeah the slowing down part has always been my biggest fear. I think it has 3.42 gears in it, take off feels like im in 2nd gear. I have a Bully Dog Triple Dog GT computer tuner on it also so I can watch the load pull on the truck.

The surge brakes on the trailer need work. It has the master cylinder on the tounge, with the end of a dampener mounted to it, but theyre all rusty and the cap on the cylinder is trashed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

correction, it has an oem tow package the dealer put on it. 3.73 gears posi traction... may go towards 4.10s in the future and some performance mods.

In the future I may swap in a 5.7l vortec to replace the 4.8.

sorry talkin about a truck in the v drive section, hahah

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
What's the name on the boat? Can't tell from the distance shots you been showin'.......

CC

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

the name of the boat is The Exhibitionist

previous owner says it has been named this since day one

also said it use to have a naked girl across the hood:drool:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
On the go side of things 4.10's would be a big improvement. That and a tuner so you can move the shift points to a little higher RPM and a bit firmer and you should be in business.

On the stopping part please give strong consideration to fixing the surge brakes; the brakes on those trucks are not all that good to begin with. I had a similar truck and after a couple of dances on the braked pedal, I even went out and got bigger front calipers from Stainless Steel Brake (they use the C5 Corvette standard brake pad) and they dramatically improved stopping with a similar truck/boat combo. SS Brake claims a 20% improvement. I don't know about the 20%, but it was a night and day improvement and well worth the money if you are towing a boat that heavy.

You have a cool boat and wishing you lots of good times!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

VDRIVERACER: thanks for the advice, they didnt go in one ear and out the other, I'll start putting money away for the improvements to the truck and trailer.

and to everyone else, thanks for all the help and comments, You've all made me feel welcome to the forum, unlike other website forums(offroad, drag racing, ect.) You boat guys and girls are the crowd I wanna be around!

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
VDRIVERACER: thanks for the advice, they didnt go in one ear and out the other, I'll start putting money away for the improvements to the truck and trailer.

and to everyone else, thanks for all the help and comments, You've all made me feel welcome to the forum, unlike other website forums(offroad, drag racing, ect.) You boat guys and girls are the crowd I wanna be around!

If that's true, haul your butt out to Needles the last weekend in February........see other threads for info on the Needles/BillyB boat show. I PROMISE you won't be disappointed.

CC

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

I've been following that thread, wish I had the money to drive out there for the weekend. Dang, maybe next year. I plan on takin the boat to lake elsinore this year, I really hope I can plan a trip out to havasu, but... need to get any bugsworked out, and get 'er back up to par. or at least bogey:))THumbsUp

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

anyone know where I can buy internal exhaust flappers? Everywhere I find them theyre discontinued. And all ebay has are the ones you clamp on the outside of the exhaust. Any way that I could just make them myself?

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
The rubber Salisbury clampon flaps are the best

21 - 40 of 56 Posts