Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
You can plan on spending close to a thousand dollars to have something like that gone through and made right for a performance application. If you can do the assembly you can save some money but otherwise entry level aluminum heads are worth the cost just for the weight savings alone...

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
A studded 2 bolt is every bit as strong as a standard 4 bolt.
I'll disagree. It has been my experience that once you go over 600HP range with a studded 2 bolt block you will run into cap walk. If you take one apart and there is gauling on the foot of the cap and/or register then she has been walking. At this point you need to install 4 bolt caps at least on the 3 center mains. I have run into this a few times but had the chance to see it with incremental HP increase in a pull truck class years ago. As the class implemented rule changes and the power grew we watched as the "limtations" showed up.

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
I'll disagree. It has been my experience that once you go over 600HP range with a studded 2 bolt block you will run into cap walk. If you take one apart and there is gauling on the foot of the cap and/or register then she has been walking. At this point you need to install 4 bolt caps at least on the 3 center mains. I have run into this a few times but had the chance to see it with incremental HP increase in a pull truck class years ago. As the class implemented rule changes and the power grew we watched as the "limtations" showed up.
I will agree with you that it also depends on application. On a motor that will load and unload yes. I have also run 700hp on a studded block with a 300 shot of nitrous and had no issues. I did change the bolts every year mind you and I did also pin the caps. But as far as breaking the block no I havent.

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
I guess it would also come down to the point that by the time you buy caps, machine the block exc. you are over half way to a dart.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I guess it would also come down to the point that by the time you buy caps, machine the block exc. you are over half way to a dart.
Agreed and finding a shop to properly do the caps is few and far between.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
A little ways down the highway from you. Take it east until you see the Atlantic Ocean and then drive North until you are close to Canada. :D

When I said 'I'd buy it in .....' I was saying it as 'If I where you I'd buy it in a second.'

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Found a guy selling a long block for 275 with these heads. Block is std but a 2 bolt... Just wondering if it was worth it.
Parted out Shaun I would think you could make some money.

Heads $150 to 200 for the pair.
Block if Std $250 to $300
Crank Cast $100
Crank Steel $250

1 - 17 of 17 Posts