Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Plenty left but he didnt want to push the stock block any harder. This was on 27psi of boost.E85, no intercooler.
qRx2q-8muqc&feature=fvsr

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

It would never work in a boat, if it could, Mercury, Teage, someone who makes really powerful engines would be creating them for a marine application.

·
Registered
441 Posts
That would work, just depends on how often its hammerd and if it is setup to run in a marine situation. If its out of wrecked truck and nothing is changed it will die sooner.Nothing against Steve, But, most of his dyno sessions on video are very short. I had my blower motor run for an eternity compared to what he posts. I am no expert and don't pretend to be, however, Merc has to deal with the Gov't and people wanting to get rich quick. I would not hesitate to get an old engine of modern design or a little old 327 and put a new turbo on it. If I had a choice I would pick a V-8 Just for the sound. I am going turbo with what I have and it should run good and not piss off the hearing sensative. P.S.,,, Hass, If you are following this thread, I may have some questions regarding my carb settings come dyno time. Is it Ok to PM you? Thanks for posting the Vid,DEL.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Stock block and heads ?
Well he could have at least used the money he wasted on that heavy turbo and got some head porting done ........................:D

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would work, just depends on how often its hammerd and if it is setup to run in a marine situation. If its out of wrecked truck and nothing is changed it will die sooner.Nothing against Steve, But, most of his dyno sessions on video are very short. I had my blower motor run for an eternity compared to what he posts. I am no expert and don't pretend to be, however, Merc has to deal with the Gov't and people wanting to get rich quick. I would not hesitate to get an old engine of modern design or a little old 327 and put a new turbo on it. If I had a choice I would pick a V-8 Just for the sound. I am going turbo with what I have and it should run good and not piss off the hearing sensative. P.S.,,, Hass, If you are following this thread, I may have some questions regarding my carb settings come dyno time. Is it Ok to PM you? Thanks for posting the Vid,DEL.
No problem Del

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It would work in a boat . You would need to make sure it had a "good" rotating assembly and the block would need to be checked real good for core shift and good tight main caps, studded and it probably wouldnt hurt to half fill.
I just dont know if I could get used to the sound of it. Sounds like crap. I like the V-8 roar.:)hand

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
thats pretty stout.

4.3 v6 have been making large power for years;)

i dont know why peeps feel the need to have SHIT as music playing in the vids:)st

just burns me up,lets hear the motors or boats,no some head banging Bullshit:|err

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats pretty stout.

4.3 v6 have been making large power for years;)

i dont know why peeps feel the need to have SHIT as music playing in the vids:)st

just burns me up,lets hear the motors or boats,no some head banging Bullshit:|err
They were trying to cover up the sound of that v-6 sounding like a big bean-fart when they pulled on it.
The turbo screaming almost covered it up though.:D

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
It would never work in a boat, if it could, Mercury, Teage, someone who makes really powerful engines would be creating them for a marine application.
Sorry for the attempt at sarcasm. Im a turbo guy, I love to see the builds that are out of the normal scope. I was trying to get there before all naysayers. If people didnt try something different we would still rowing our boats. Be safe, schick

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
we are lookin at 800 HP! with 2 less cylinders. This got my wheels turning. I know that there has to be a HUGE $$savings$$ with this deal.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
They were trying to cover up the sound of that v-6 sounding like a big bean-fart when they pulled on it.
The turbo screaming almost covered it up though.:D
hil:)thats funny!- but you are 100% correct-I have a little ZR2 4x4 with a 4.3-it does
sound like a bean fart, especially with a flowmaster:p

·
Registered
310 Posts
Lets not forg this was turbo motor stock to begin with. Just a tad beefier than a standard 4.3 to start with.

From what I've read, very little differences between the Cyclone/Typhoon motor and the regular 4.3. Biggest difference I've found is that they use slight lower compression (8.5 down to 8.35) but the pistons are still hyper, and they used nodular 2 bolt caps instead of cast iron, and better head gaskets.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Lets not forg this was turbo motor stock to begin with. Just a tad beefier than a standard 4.3 to start with.

There are more than a couple Buick GNs hitting numbers like that
Menard Buicks were making around 1000 at Indy reasonably realiable by 1996. That was 15 years ago!

This isn't some junk piece, and its still a little low on HP from the bench mark:)sphss
you know, they put a lot of v-6s in bayliners too... just sayin...:)

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
you know, they put a lot of v-6s in bayliners too... just sayin...:)
Hey, what a concept. I could buy a Bayliner with a V6 complete with hyper pistons and a 2 bolt block, toss on a big azz turbo, crank the boost to about 800HP, and everything should be A OK so long as I continue to drive it like a Bayliner:)sphss
Wonder if the 800HP would killer the motor first, or if the boat would kill me first:)eh:)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
We built a blown alcohol v-6 20 years ago. This is when busch cares still ran v-6 stuff. It was a bowtie block, "Pontiac 867"? heads. The v-6 version of the raised runner head. The guy (who worked at the shop) put it in his sand drag jeep, made 1 pass, crashed, and shoved a pvc pipe down his throat when he crashed. Almost died. Suffered from loss of oxygen and had the mentality of about late grade school after that.
We dynoed it after that. It made over 1000 ft/lbs of torque. Insane amount of boost. Way long ago. It sounded bitch, though.
I don't remember who bought it after that. I think it went drag racing. I always contemplated that in a boat. To much custom 1 off stuff back in the day.
Wags

1 - 19 of 19 Posts