Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
bigchips
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The word around the campfire is someone is building a competitive low 8 second 21ft Daytona to run at CDBA this year. Has anyone caught wind of this? I’d definitely like to see a 21ft lined up against the 8 second field. Is this even possible?

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Donald, that looks like a pretty nice piece that Tony is building for, if I'm correct, YOU! :)

As far as low 8's being possible, why not? About 10 years ago Marty Strech was successfully running a 21 Daytona in the 8.50 bracket with a single carb 555 pump gas w/nitrous. As of 2003, i think he had a best of 8.55/126+ mph.There was even an article in Hot Rod Magazine about the engine and it's builder, Dave Ebbert of DNE Motorsports. For some reason, I'm thinking that his 21 ended up somewhere in your neck of the woods..........the Pacific Northwest.

Good luck with the project and start posting pics of it here.

·
The Man
1,788 Posts
Wasn't there a Skagen 21' boat running real fast last year? Like fully decked out with radio and all?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Wasn't there a Skagen 21' boat running real fast last year? Like fully decked out with radio and all?
Skagens heavy 21 with full interior, stereo, swim steps, lightning headers yadda yadda ran 8.80 @129...that 21 has now been replaces with a light TPR21.. same power. There will be a few 21's running under that number this year from this group of crazies up north. Should be interested to watch.

·
"BOATLESS"
3,468 Posts
Skagens heavy 21 with full interior, stereo, swim steps, lightning headers yadda yadda ran 8.80 @129...that 21 has now been replaces with a light TPR21.. same power. There will be a few 21's running under that number this year from this group of crazies up north. Should be interested to watch.
Really???

·
Registered
290 Posts
Really???
Yes indeed. Ran the 8.80 @ 129 on its first day on the rope at a CDBA race at dexter. Had some motor gremlins on the next run and hasn't been back to the rope since.. now Rydar (91foxbody) owns the boat! No doubt that Donalds 21 will run below that number, Tonys new 21 will also, as well as Jade Claars 21. The 21's have taken over up here in the NW.

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
Yes indeed. Ran the 8.80 @ 129 on its first day on the rope at a CDBA race at dexter. Had some motor gremlins on the next run and hasn't been back to the rope since.. now Rydar (91foxbody) owns the boat! No doubt that Donalds 21 will run below that number, Tonys new 21 will also, as well as Jade Claars 21. The 21's have taken over up here in the NW.[/QUOTE

Plus one really slow one too

·
bigchips
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
“ReasonableDoubt “ #067 made its first racing debut last year. This year we went back tothe drawing board. Added tons of engine upgrades, bottom work and extensive pump modifications that should put it in arm's reach of contending with many of the 8.00 – 8.20 second boats. Shooting for a136+ mph. Blown 632 gas engine. Build photos to follow soon. Scott performance & Skagen Boats joint collaboration build.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
lil thread jack...kinda related. I have read the rule book, well most of it. Is there a boat size restriction? What keeps the Bajas and such from competing? I realize they couldnt compete out of the hole, but...whats the official word?

·
" Live Laterally "
4,536 Posts
Tony is a GREAT guy and definitely has the skills to pay the bills!!! :)devil

·
bigchips
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

Engine is all ready for removal and heading off to a new home.

Engine: This year I’m going big. New Brodix aluminum block high deck block, 632ci, Titanium rods, Sonny Bryant crank, extremely modified Brodix BB-5 aluminum heads, coated blower pistons, big 8.875 lift cam, high volume oil pump…. Goodnessthe list is long, there’s tons of new parts. Staying with the current 14-71blower, however I’m running some big boost, 20-24lbs the dyno session will letus know where the sweet spot will be. I’m anxious to see what the dyno numbersturn out to be. I’d happy with anything above the 2000hp mark, I’ll settle for a conservative tune so I can run the piss out of this boat, what good is allthat power if you can’t run it up and down the lake all day long!

Hull: Turning the boat over so Tony Skagen can work hismagic. Straightening out all the imperfections from the factory mold, addingkeel and spoon style water feed to keep the impeller with a steady stream ofwater. We’re also modifying the low profile intake with some Skagen magic aswell.

Special thanks to the engine builder -
Scott Performance in Auburn, WA. and Skagen Boats and for their joint collaboration on what I hope to be a low-8.00sec – 130mph ¼ mile rocket. Dexter, Oregon races in June 2012 will definitely be the proving grounds.

·
bigchips
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Powerplant hardware

New Brodix aluminum tall deck block

Nice Brodix BB-5 (modified) aluminum heads with tons of upgrades including all titanium components

Much bigger intake valve from last years 540ci engine. New intake valves are 2.40+

·
bigchips
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
More parts arrived today!!

Indy intake with port nossels and burst panel

New MPD pump intake

Because of the higher HP from last year I upgraded the jet-a-way to handle it, here's a new 3 dog clutch

Quick mock up for measuring fuel lines ect... Now that's a lot of aluminum!!

·
Registered
416 Posts

Engine is all ready forremoval and heading off to a new home.

Engine: This year I’m going big. New Brodix aluminum block high deck block, 632ci, Titanium rods, Sonny Bryant crank, extremely modified Brodix BB-5 aluminum heads, coated blower pistons, big 8.875 lift cam, high volume oil pump…. Goodnessthe list is long, there’s tons of new parts. Staying with the current 14-71blower, however I’m running some big boost, 20-24lbs the dyno session will letus know where the sweet spot will be. I’m anxious to see what the dyno numbersturn out to be. I’d happy with anything above the 2000hp mark, I’ll settle for a conservative tune so I can run the piss out of this boat, what good is allthat power if you can’t run it up and down the lake all day long!

Hull: Turning the boat over so Tony Skagen can work hismagic. Straightening out all the imperfections from the factory mold, addingkeel and spoon style water feed to keep the impeller with a steady stream ofwater. We’re also modifying the low profile intake with some Skagen magic aswell.

Special thanks to Skagen Boats and Scott Performance for their joint collaboration on what I hope to be a low-8.00sec – 130mph ¼ mile rocket. Dexter, Oregon races in June 2012 will definitely be the proving grounds.

On Gas Tonys 632 made 1250 (no nitrous) on 13lbs with the same static compression you are going to run (so I hear) with a 14-71..... You really think you are going to make an extra 800+ hp with another 7-11 lbs of boost?? How do you come to this number?? Please explain!

Also why spend the $$$$$ on some Titanium rods when aluminum work just fine? We ran aluminum rods in the All aluminum Steve Schmidt 632 in the Top dragster and had no problems, engine made around 1300 N/A @ 7500pm... Most of the low 7/high 6 second jets run the best steel rods and it works great, is it just to say you have "Titanium" rods??

Sure is alot of talk about the "dyno" numbers on this project, any dyno operator can make some changes and make any engine "produce' any numbers to make that customer happy.....

Please keep us all updated on how this all comes togeather, I am sure it will be changed alot from the original 632/14-71 set up on c-16 and carbs making over 2,000 hp.... Just on the first page it went from a 136+ 1/4 mile 21 to a 130mph.....

Cheers

·
bigchips
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Blownboosted makes some valid points. Perhaps keeping silent about estimated HP numbers until the dyno session is over might be wise moving forward. As a lay person who’s simply writing the checks and doing zero engineering/building of the motor - I’ve been thrown HP numbers at me right and left. Gez, who do you believe? I’m gust guy excited to build a monster engineand go racing.

I cannot speak for Tony’s build (anybody please correct me if I’m wrong) other than I know he has equal ci (632) and a 14-71 blower. I believe my intake, heads & valve train are far superior to his and mine won’tbe as restrictive. I’m running a much larger cam, and will be upping the blower pressure an additional 7-13 lbs. Tony opted to not remove the intercooler core during his dyno sessions (which significantly caused back pressure and ultimately created unneeded internal blower gas temps. I believe he simply ran out of time and couldn’t pull the intercooler core. Had Tony pulled the intercooler, I believe his HP numbers would have been greatly increased.

The issue with the Titanium rods vs aluminum is verysimple. The aluminum rods wouldn’t fit within the underside of the custom pistons without removing enough material to make them work – hence weakening the piston. Trust me we tried to make the aluminum rods work, but found no other option that wouldn’t place the rolling assembly at risk of failure. Aluminum stretches far too easy and needs to be replaced every ??? passes. Titanium doesn’t stretch and is virtually as light as aluminum, plus stronger. This is where some latent HP can be recovered. Purchasing titanium rods were surely for the overall harmony of the engine – not for pride’s sake. Plus I got then at a price I couldn’t refuse.

I do hope the dyno operator is a professional and lets’ the numbers speak for themselves without any manipulation.

It’s been a group decision to add an additional 1150cfm carb; making it 3x 1150cfm stacked on top the blower. Currently we have 2300cfm and ideally we need close to 3500cfm. Here is where a good portion of the 800+hp deficit will be reduced in addition to the other items listed above.

If Skagen’s phenomenal bottom work to the hull + mods tothe pump hold true – I’ll need 2000+ hp to obtain a 8.00sec time. If the dyno reveals a shortfall in hp numbers (say 1700-1800) we’ll simple have to slap on a shotof NOS and call it good.
Thanks for your input – see you on the rope:goodluck:

1 - 20 of 188 Posts