Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished Member
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... starting a project to replace the toe board and the side boards in my Bezer. First, the toe board is still in good shape but the access hole is huge and it's not glassed in all the way around. I planned on cutting it out and replacing it but was wondering if I could leave it there and glass another one over the top. None of the old toe board will show, so I'm wondering if there's a reason to take it out.
Next question is can I stain the wood to make it a bit darker and have the glass adhere as well as sanded wood. The existing balsa floor is way darker than the plywood so darkening it would be desirable. Based on what I've been reading, planning on using 1/2" marine plywood and some type of epoxy product for glassing.
Last question; should I plan on putting a layer of cloth on the backside of the sideboards. I figured I'd resin it for sure, but not sure if the back side needs a layer of cloth as well.
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
... starting a project to replace the toe board and the side boards in my Bezer. First, the toe board is still in good shape but the access hole is huge and it's not glassed in all the way around.
The hole in the toe board on my Biesemeyer is large also, but there is another piece of plywood that covers that hole and has about a 3-4" hole in it. You may have to access your bow eye some day. :rolleyes: The toe board is short relative to the deck and sides and tabbed in. You don't want the toe board to be tight with the deck or the sides. If you do it that way it will crack the deck and the sides, or at the very least "print" on those surfaces. My .02.:) I should disclose I'm not a fiberglass expert.:)hand

·
Distinguished Member
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 - 4 of 4 Posts