Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ESSEX PULLER
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

Ive got a few questions for you experts.

First,

Does anyone know of a shop in the southern California area that will take a look at both of the heads from my 454 to see if there are any cracks?

There off the motor already, i'd like to drop them off and get them checked out before i re assemble.

Second,

Ive got a place diverter, with droop, i pulled the punp off the fix a few things and im about to re assemble that but im not sure what type of gear oil? if thats whats in there, and how much it takes.

Didnt look like to much was in there when i pulled it off but some did fall out so id like to put some new stuff in

Thanks in advance

ESXPULR

·
Jet boat service
126 Posts
Should be alot of folks here that can steer you to a good shop in So Cal. The Berk Jet uses hypoid 90 gear oil or a gear oil in that range.. Make sure your seal is in good shape. Jim :D

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
X2 on the bowl seal. You'll have to pull the bowl off to check it, but if it's damaged, replace it. Pretty simple procedure...except once the bowl bolts are removed you'll have to use a chisel and a hammer between the bowl and the mounting flange to walk the bowl off of its register.

Replace the seal and reinstall the bowl with a new bowl gasket, then torque to 75 ft lbs in a crisscross pattern.

Sorry if I'm giving away your secrets Jim :D

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
Edit...thread a couple of the bowl bolts back into the bowl a few turns (one on each side of the bowl) and tap them with a hammer.

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
Hello All

Ive got a few questions for you experts.

First,

Does anyone know of a shop in the southern California area that will take a look at both of the heads from my 454 to see if there are any cracks?

There off the motor already, i'd like to drop them off and get them checked out before i re assemble.

Thanks in advance

ESXPULR
Don't know where you are but PM Barry Obler (Obnoxious001 here on the board). You will not find a guy more honest.

Good luck

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys.

Do you know how much oil needs to go in the pump?
On the bowl you'll see two plugs. Pull both of them and fill through one of them until the oil runs out of the other plug hole, then reinstall the plugs.

·
I'm No Expert
3,142 Posts
Does anyone know of a shop in the southern California area that will take a look at both of the heads from my 454 to see if there are any cracks
Not sure where in southern california your located but give Bob McKray a call. I've had him do 3 sets of heads for me now and cut my manifold. He's a good guy, even called me after by dyno day to shoot the shit and see how she ran. Give him a call

Bob McKray Performance
25672 Taladro Cir #F
Mission Viejo, Ca 92681
tel: 949.458.7087

1 - 12 of 12 Posts