1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Wow a couple different things going on there... Tax the ones who can pay more so the ones that can't can have the same things:mad: Cut the excess to lower costs:D Get more people to sign up for government assistance:mad:

The most horrifying thing about that article is there was no mention of sloppy joes:)devil What is this world coming to?

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow a couple different things going on there... Tax the ones who can pay more so the ones that can't can have the same things:mad: Cut the excess to lower costs:D Get more people to sign up for government assistance:mad:
And Gov. mandating on nutrition with no consideration for who pays.

The most horrifying thing about that article is there was no mention of sloppy joes:)devil What is this world coming to?
No fishsticks either?? What the Hell????

·
Boatless Member :(
3,006 Posts
They've been doing that since I was in school 6-14 years ago.

Socalism at it's finest. (That's what a school is btw.)

·
Screamin SeaMonkees
1,663 Posts
There are so many things wrong with this "program" of oweing kids a free lunch. And then finding a "Fed" program to subsidize it. (read, taxpayers) Then they starve kids into a quarterof their daily requirements.

But i shall digress into memories of lunches gone by...
As a student of the sixties I really did enjoy the flavor of the "cardboard pizza". Rectangular slices of cheesy red sauce on soggy dough like slabs of bread.
:)grn

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As a student of the sixties I really did enjoy the flavor of the "cardboard pizza". Rectangular slices of cheesy red sauce on soggy dough like slabs of bread.
:)grn
I can tell you there was little change in the 70's. (class of '79, but quit in '78, GED, had to go to work)

WHERE did they get that stuff they called pizza???

We had an "alternative" lunch at West High in Anchorage. Instead of the tray, you could by a cheeseburger and fries in a brown paper bag for like $2.00. (Milkshake included, strawberry or chocolate)
Often, if you weren't up front, when they handed you the bag the bottom would fall out from all the grease. The burger resembled a wad of bread and grey stuff, you could float a battleship in the grease. It would literally run down your arm while eating it.
The fries where more like a ball of grease soaked shoelaces then anything resembling a well cooked french fry.
Fortunately, they usually had about a 1/4 cup of mayonnaise on it to kill the taste.:)devil

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You guys got screwed. Pizza at our school was actually cooked right before each lunch on site and IT WAS GOOD! Nice thick crust, plenty of sauce, etc... Didn't hurt to know the luch lady either. Nacho's with buckets of cheese, full ice cream bar... now I'm getting hungry.

·
"On the road again..."
9,356 Posts
Ah the good old days of the 60's. I went to a ralatively small school with an average class size of 145-175 kids per grade. There was an elementary, Jr High, and HS. Each had it's own cafeteria with 2-3 cooks in full sized kitchens. 30-40% of kids brought their own lunches. No breakfasts were served. No premade process foods. No soft drinks, choice of white or choc milk and water.

The food ranged from mashed potatoes (real prepared potoatos, no instant) with hamburger, turkey, chipped beef, or ham gravy, fresh veggies every meal, roast beef, fried chicken, meatloaf, roast chicken and turkey, etc. Each meal came with a fresh locally baked white bread sandwich of real butter. And you got some of the best homemade desserts of various cobblers, puddings, and an apple crisp known to 1,000's of kids though the years as the best they'd ever ate.

This lunch was $.25 a day when I was in elementary and progressed up to $1.25 when I got to HS. It ended around my junior year when they went to hamburgers and sandwiches and individual pizzas due to budget costs. But it was great while it lasted.:)devil

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah the good old days of the 60's. I went to a ralatively small school with an average class size of 145-175 kids per grade. There was an elementary, Jr High, and HS. Each had it's own cafeteria with 2-3 cooks in full sized kitchens. 30-40% of kids brought their own lunches. No breakfasts were served. No premade process foods. No soft drinks, choice of white or choc milk and water.

The food ranged from mashed potatoes (real prepared potoatos, no instant) with hamburger, turkey, chipped beef, or ham gravy, fresh veggies every meal, roast beef, fried chicken, meatloaf, roast chicken and turkey, etc. Each meal came with a fresh locally baked white bread sandwich of real butter. And you got some of the best homemade desserts of various cobblers, puddings, and an apple crisp known to 1,000's of kids though the years as the best they'd ever ate.

This lunch was $.25 a day when I was in elementary and progressed up to $1.25 when I got to HS. It ended around my junior year when they went to hamburgers and sandwiches and individual pizzas due to budget costs. But it was great while it lasted.:)devil
Damn Tex, You ate good and better!!:)devil:)devil

·
"On the road again..."
9,356 Posts
Damn Tex, You ate good and better!!:)devil:)devil
Different times back then. It helped to have folks working in the kitchens who took pride and weren't lazy. Those kitchens were spotless on top of it all. I've notice how schools back then held up longer because faculty, staff, and students all took care of things and there was seldom any vandalism. Not only different times but different attitudes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts