Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, I got layed off for the second time in one year...damn near to the day. I have already sent out about 125 resumes (with not 1 call as of yet) but my question is really geared to those people who have recently gotten hired:

Did any of you use any of the "pay" services when you were looking, and did it help?

I have already been contacted by 4 different companies that want me to come in, "interview" for them, then they are going to "get me in front of the decision makers that I will never be able to get to on my own." Anybody else deal with this kind of company or actually get hired using one?

I do not want to go as long as I did last time without a job, and in fact, we will be out on the streets if it happens, so I was just wanting to ask the membership what they thought and what their experiences had been.

Thanks,
Alan

· Registered
3,476 Posts
As many of you know, I got layed off for the second time in one year...damn near to the day. I have already sent out about 125 resumes (with not 1 call as of yet) but my question is really geared to those people who have recently gotten hired:

Did any of you use any of the "pay" services when you were looking, and did it help?

I have already been contacted by 4 different companies that want me to come in, "interview" for them, then they are going to "get me in front of the decision makers that I will never be able to get to on my own." Anybody else deal with this kind of company or actually get hired using one?

I do not want to go as long as I did last time without a job, and in fact, we will be out on the streets if it happens, so I was just wanting to ask the membership what they thought and what their experiences had been.

Thanks,
Alan

Wow! I'd be careful with this, sounds like a scam to me.

If you are in management, some times it makes sense to send resumes directly to the CEO of a company and let him decide if he has a need for your services.

· Boat Nut
525 Posts
1 Major point. It should be NO COST to you. Pay nothing to these companies!!! Nothing!

We sort of provide that type of service, but with us it's a bit different. You interview with us and then if we think it's a fit, we send you to interview with the client. Once offered the job, you actually become OUR employee working on-site at the client.

We have about 125 employees with full bennies.

Our services are paid for by the Client not the candidate. Any company that has YOU pay to try and get a job is crap and it's a scam.

· Registered
7,995 Posts
Scammers!!!

It never fails to amaze me the way scammers come out of the woodwork to take advantage of the most vulnerable in tough times. As mentioned, these are not good people if they expect YOU to pay anything for their service. Maybe they are trying to play both ends of the middle. I think a call to the BBB in your area might get someone's attention as to what these scumbags are trying to do....... Good luck as you continue to look for ways to succeed in this tough job market.....And it is tough out there, no doubt about that......Ray

· Banne'd
2,426 Posts
1 Major point. It should be NO COST to you. Pay nothing to these companies!!! Nothing!

We sort of provide that type of service, but with us it's a bit different. You interview with us and then if we think it's a fit, we send you to interview with the client. Once offered the job, you actually become OUR employee working on-site at the client.

We have about 125 employees with full bennies.

Our services are paid for by the Client not the candidate. Any company that has YOU pay to try and get a job is crap and it's a scam.

This would be called a "temp srevice" would it not?

Nissan does this at there test track south of Maricopa. And so does Country Wide, a co workers wife works there. She get's paid $10.00 and hour with no benies and the temp service gets paid $5.00 and hour. And thats per employee, times say 125. Don't do the math, it hurts.

I think this other type charges a fee for finding a person a job. And the "FEE" is based on the yearly pay of said job. Once to do a contract with them and take a job through them you have to "PAY". It could be 3k or it could be 10k, depends on the job. This is nothing new, companies like this have been around for 20+ years.

It can't hurt to check it out, be be careful. It could cost you more in the end.

· Registered
537 Posts
Try Apple One or Kelly Services. They are not just Temporary Agencies but work as recruiters as well. I have one at Apple One here that is getting me an interview this week with a company for a permanent job.

· Registered
861 Posts
If you're talking about using a headhunter - go for it - It should be no cost to you, and you shouldn't have to sign any contract or anything. Sometimes headhunters have good contacts and find out about available jobs nefore the general public.

If it's a company that claims that they will get you a job if you pay them, thell them to pound sand..

· Registered
7,995 Posts
Contract

I think this other type charges a fee for finding a person a job. And the "FEE" is based on the yearly pay of said job. Once to do a contract with them and take a job through them you have to "PAY". It could be 3k or it could be 10k, depends on the job. This is nothing new, companies like this have been around for 20+ years.

It can't hurt to check it out, be be careful. It could cost you more in the end.
Yes, you sign a contract with them, but you only pay for success in finding the job. These other outfits are trying to charge up front. Don't pay anything up front, but the contract binds both ways......Ray

· Boat Nut
525 Posts
This would be called a "temp srevice" would it not?

She get's paid $10.00 and hour with no benies and the temp service gets paid $5.00 and hour. And thats per employee, times say 125. Don't do the math, it hurts.
Uhhh not really a temp service. Is it temp work if the majority of our gigs are 3+ years? and you get 3 weeks of vacation, 10 holidays, company paid LTD and STD, Company paid Life, 401k, overtime? LOL.

T

Your talking perm placement. That's 1% of our business and STILL no cost to the candidates. The FEE is paid by the end company, NOT the individual. It's a % of the candidates salary, usually 25-30%. I'll say it again, the only companies that require a individual to pay are trying to goose both ends. They are preying on the uninformed and uneducated. Do your homework, any company that charges candidates fees for finding them jobs are not upstanding.

· Registered
2,085 Posts
I’m not sure the services being described by the OP fall under “scams.”

But on a similar note – there are scams on craigslist related to employment services and identity theft.

Scammers set up, or at least create the appearance, of bona fide companies. They mislead people into sending resumes, followed by employment applications; or they hold mini “job fairs” or mixers and will actually interview with people.

Their goal – the employment application with all your personal information on it. They even ask for bank account info, citing their company offers direct deposit payroll.

Be very wary of anything craigslist related. I’ve received a fair amount of training on craigslist scams and am rolling out new services to help protect consumers. DO YOUR RESEARCH ON THE COMPANY FIRST.

Hope it helps :)

· Registered
1,224 Posts
I havent heard of anyone having any type of luck with regard to pay sites. My only suggestion (which I am sure you are doing) is use all your contacts and walk in. Dont send emails or call on the phone. Walk in with a resume and say you are looking. They will see that as a go getter move IMO.

Good luck

· Registered
874 Posts
If you're talking about using a headhunter - go for it - It should be no cost to you, and you shouldn't have to sign any contract or anything. Sometimes headhunters have good contacts and find out about available jobs nefore the general public.

If it's a company that claims that they will get you a job if you pay them, thell them to pound sand..
I second this... A headhunter is actually paid by the firm or company to find the ideal candidate so that the company does not have to waste time interviewing people who may or may not be qualified. If you are paying for a service to put you in contact with companies, its probably a scam. My husband was contacted by a headhunter when we moved from SD to Phoenix and he landed a great job at a firm here in town. Best of luck to you Tremor Therapy!!!

· Premium Member
96 Posts

Headhunters are a great and ethical way to go. A lot of employers use them so that they do not have to spend an inordinate amount of time sorting through resumes/applications, doing background checks, etc.

· Dreaming of snow
1,046 Posts
Either way, temp agency, or employment placement YOU end up making less in the end. Depending on the type of person you are and who you know/ the industry you are in, you may be able to get yourself the job without these services. However, when you do it yourself you can meet the future employer in the middle of what you would be offered through a placement agency and what they would pay the placement agency. With the placement agency, they are taking the risk of the potential employee. If you go directly to the company you desire to wok for, then they are taking the risk in having to hire/fire you, and therefor some of these companies find it easier to hire through an agency with less exposure to law suites. With that said, you may not be able to convince a company to assume the risk, and pay 100% of what they would to an agency, however (for example) if you get 15.00 and the company pays 20.00, you may be able to convince them that 18.00 is reasonable considering the risk. As a business owner myself, I would consider it as the person is forward thinking and not just wanting to punch a time card. Some industries it seems as if you can only get in by an agency unless you were the top selling rep at a major company.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.