Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm from NW Ohio along the Maumee River. I recentely bought another jet boat. First one was back in 1978. This one is a 79 Hawaiian 20 footer with 460. I have a question about the trailer. It doesnt have any kind of winch setup on the front of the trailer but instead it has a flat metal strap that hinges at the center trailer frame and then has a curved end with a slot that the boats U shaped stainless eye fits into. Its impossible to load this boat by myself because there's no way to tell when you are too far or not far enough onto the trailer. I have seen other trailers for jetboats or Vdrives with this similar setup. Am I missing something or overcomplicating things. Thanks in advance, Rick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, I'm from NW Ohio along the Maumee River. I recentely bought another jet boat. First one was back in 1978. This one is a 79 Hawaiian 20 footer with 460. I have a question about the trailer. It doesnt have any kind of winch setup on the front of the trailer but instead it has a flat metal strap that hinges at the center trailer frame and then has a curved end with a slot that the boats U shaped stainless eye fits into. Its impossible to load this boat by myself because there's no way to tell when you are too far or not far enough onto the trailer. I have seen other trailers for jetboats or Vdrives with this similar setup. Am I missing something or overcomplicating things. Thanks in advance, Rick
Just jump on the water and pull it on in

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just jump on the water and pull it on in
Did you mean for me to jump in the water and pull it on? What keeps the boat from going backwards once I get out? You're talking 3000 lbs to pull up the trailer because there is no winch. Do you have this same style trailer?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I personally hate floater bars, but have had more than a few.
The trick for me, is not to get trailer in to deep and walk it on. You can put a strap from eye or the bar to keep it from moving back when pulling out.
You could also put on a winch and bumper if you want, depending on the boat size and shape.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I personally hate floater bars, but have had more than a few.
The trick for me, is not to get trailer in to deep and walk it on. You can put a strap from eye or the bar to keep it from moving back when pulling out.
You could also put on a winch and bumper if you want, depending on the boat size and shape.
A quick question. Is the floater bar supposed to be hinged at the bottom, because mine is. With it laying forwards down onto the frame, you have to physically lift it up, line up the boat's loop and put a hook on it to fasten the front of boat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, that's the one. PUT the pin in and go.
Thanks for the replies guys. Guess I'll be making a nice Vshaped rubber nose bumper so I know when the boat is centered left to right and also forward on the trailer exactly at the right spot. The ramps aroung here are pretty steep and driving it up till it touches the bumper will work best I think. Rick

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. Guess I'll be making a nice Vshaped rubber nose bumper so I know when the boat is centered left to right and also forward on the trailer exactly at the right spot. The ramps aroung here are pretty steep and driving it up till it touches the bumper will work best I think. Rick
a small neoprene roller can work better than a vblock. just get a 20' long rope with a carabiner tied to it, use that to pull the boat up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts