·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do not know if this has been posted before but just got it in a e-mail

Touche!!

AMEN!

A SOLDIER'S VIEW OF MJ'S DEATH........
This is written by a young man serving his third tour of duty in Iraq.
Thought you might find his take on the Michael Jackson news interesting.

Okay, I need to rant.

I was just watching the news, and I caught part of a report on Michael
Jackson. As we all know, Jackson died the other day. He was an
entertainer who performed for decades. He made millions, he spent
millions, and he did a lot of things that make him a villian to many
people. I understand that his death would affect a lot of people, and I
respect those people who mourn his death, but that isn't the point of my
rant.

Why is it that when ONE man dies, the whole of America loses their minds
with grief. When a man dies whose only contribution to the country was to
ENTERTAIN people, the American people find the need to flock to a
memorial in Hollywood, and even Congress sees the need to hold a "moment
of silence" for his passing?

Am I missing something here? ONE man dies, and all of a sudden he's a
freaking martyr because he entertained us for a few decades? What about
all those SOLDIERS who have died to give us freedom? All those Soldiers
who, knowing that they would be asked to fight in a war, still raised
their hands and swore to defend the Constitution and the
United States of America. Where is their moment of silence? Where are the
people flocking to their graves or memorials and mourning over them
because they made the ultimate sacrifice?

Why is it when a Soldier dies, there are more people saying "good
riddence," and "thank God for IEDs?" When did this country become so
calloused to the sacrifice of GOOD MEN and WOMEN, that they can
arbitrarily blow off their deaths, and instead, throw themselves into
mourning for a "Pop Icon?"

I think that if they are going to hold a moment of silence IN CONGRESS
for Michael Jackson, they need to hold a moment of silence for every
service member killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. They need to PUBLICLY
recognize every life that has been lost so that the American people can
live their callous little lives in the luxury and freedom that WE,
those that are living and those that have gone on, have provided for
them. But, wait, that would take too much time, because there have been
so many willing to make that sacrifice.

After all, we will never make millions of dollars. We will never star in
movies, or write hit songs that the world will listen too. We only shed
our blood, sweat and tears so that people can enjoy what they have.

Sorry if I have offended, but I needed to say it. Remember these five
words the next time you think of someone who is serving in the military;

"So that others may live..."

Isaac

Only two people have ever effectively given their lives for you.

Jesus Christ and The American G.I.
One died for your sins, the other died to give you freedom.
this is so true. god bless our men and women in the service:)devil

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I believe it is because we Americans have had it so good for so long that we have forgotten the important things that made our country great. Rome had the same problem before it fell, and leaders became consumed with taming the masses via entertainment etc to keep them quiet. Just my 2 cents worth. I agree with you!

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,449 Posts
Two words, Liberal mindset.

Basis for my assertion?

Lack of Dem vote and support in DC.
Obama's cut of the defense budget.
Dem lack of knowledge of military and strategic history.
San Fransisco
And every time I am in an airport, if I am in a liberal leaning state or city and I introduce myself to a military member and say thank you, the looks of disapproval from the people there, the looks, the stares like how dare you. Then in a conservative state or city the opposite happens people smile, say thank you, pat them on the back, and engage them. In Dallas, I bought a couple of solders a beer at the bar......person after person did the same and more wanted to but they had to catch their flight. Never happen in San Fran.

I can name many first hand experiences as a military member but I will limit this post.....Good by MJ, sorry you did this to your self, but this country needs to get it's priorities straight. The Death of a solder and brother for our freedom trumps all deaths period.

·
waiting sucks
944 Posts
piss on entertainers, movie stars and sports figures. They are nothing more than entertainers here to entertain the REAL WORLD/ REAL PEOPLE. We should not televise their political opinions or throw massive funerals at the tax payers expense when one passes. Who gives a shit about these people, they're lives are more f-ed up than anyones. Never understood why people flock to celebrities and lick the ground they walk on. They provide nothing to society and yet get paid mega bucks. I couldnt care less about any of them. Piss on em!

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I had an interesting one recently, catching a flight out of Norfolk VA, the flight attendants came on the intercom before their safety talk and asked for any Military service people to raise their hands. Once hands were raised, they asked for anyone within close proximity to shake their hand and thank them for their service. They also called for a round of applause thanking the individuals. It was amazing that even though 80 percent of the plane was applauding, there were still people who weren't.

So many people are blind to reality. It's ashamed that they can't recognize the reason they're able sit in peace.

I used to love the Jay Leno street walking questions, he once asked a middle aged woman who lived at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave and she didn't know the answer, but when he asked her who lives in a pineapple under the sea, she knew it was sponge bob.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I pray every morning for these brave men and wowen. Having a son-in-law in the service stationed in Okinawa for the past three years, coming home with the daughter and grandson within the next 2 to 3 weeks (which will only be the second time weve seen our grandson in his short 1 1/2 years on earth) means a whole hell of a lot more than any performer or sports star. Mike has been to Iraq three times. God Bless the men and women who spend their time monies and engery preforming for our troops, but the real amen goes to those TROOPS. Thank you each and everyone.

·
You who rock I salute you
3,207 Posts
When Al Qaeda pays us another visit, and they will, and perhaps more deadly than the twin towers (remember that incident?), you will see a change in the American people far beyond the reaction of Pearl Harbor.

·
"On the road again..."
9,162 Posts
I don't watch much of the nightly news anymore or read the morning area's major paper, but what I do see/hear/believe is how little is even mentioned about the Iraq war since the current Admin has taken over. We hear more about how the Bush era screwed up that about how we are currently leaving Iraq and escalating Afghan and into Pakistan.

And I'd wager the majority of mourners at the MJ memorial couldn't even tell you if, when, or where we currently have troops. Sad indeed and quite selfexplanatory of the times......

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,449 Posts
A buddy I used to fly with forwarded this to me the other day.......

We're hearing a lot today about big splashy memorial services.

I want a nationwide memorial service for Darrell "Shifty" Powers.

Shifty volunteered for the airborne in WWII and served with Easy Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, part of the 101st Airborne Infantry. If you've seen Band of Brothers on HBO or the History Channel, you know Shifty. His character appears in all 10 episodes, and Shifty himself is interviewed in several of them.

I met Shifty in the Philadelphia airport several years ago. I didn't know who he was at the time. I just saw an elderly gentleman having trouble reading his ticket. I offered to help, assured him that he was at the right gate, and noticed the "Screaming Eagle", the symbol of the 101st Airborne, on his hat.

Making conversation, I asked him if he'd been in the 101st Airborne or if his son was serving. He said quietly that he had been in the 101st. I thanked him for his service, then asked him when he served, and how many jumps he made.

Quietly and humbly, he said "Well, I guess I signed up in 1941 or so, and was in until sometime in 1945 . . . " at which point my heart skipped.

At that point, again, very humbly, he said "I made the 5 training jumps at Toccoa, and then jumped into Normandy . . . . do you know where Normandy is?" At this point my heart stopped.

I told him yes, I know exactly where Normandy was, and I know what D-Day was. At that point he said "I also made a second jump into Holland, into Arnhem." I was standing with a genuine war hero . . . . and then I realized that it was June, just after the anniversary of D-Day.

I asked Shifty if he was on his way back from France, and he said "Yes. And it's real sad because these days so few of the guys are left, and those that are, lots of them can't make the trip." My heart was in my throat and I didn't know what to say.

I helped Shifty get onto the plane and then realized he was back in Coach, while I was in First Class. I sent the flight attendant back to get him and said that I wanted to switch seats. When Shifty came forward, I got up out of the seat and told him I wanted him to have it, that I'd take his in coach.

He said "No, son, you enjoy that seat. Just knowing that there are still some who remember what we did and still care is enough to make an old man very happy." His eyes were filling up as he said it. And mine are brimming up now as I write this.

Shifty died on June 17 after fighting cancer.

There was no parade.

No big event in Staples Center.

No wall to wall back to back 24x7 news coverage.

No weeping fans on television.

And that's not right.

Let's give Shifty his own Memorial Service, online, in our own quiet way. Please forward this email to everyone you know. Especially to the veterans.

Rest in peace, Shifty.

"A nation without heroes is nothing."
Roberto Clemente

About 3 months ago I saw an old timer sitting in front of Wal-Mart with a WWII Vet hat on.....I stopped stook out my hand and just said thank you.....he teared up and said "no one ever does that anymore".......I said I know........when I wear anything showing my pride of my combat service for this country.....nothing. I received more in Iraq than here at home. Sad.

·
"The" masheenist
5,381 Posts
When Al Qaeda pays us another visit, and they will, and perhaps more deadly than the twin towers (remember that incident?), you will see a change in the American people far beyond the reaction of Pearl Harbor.
Do you want to add a time limit to that?

Because the twin towers lasted only a few months in the public eye.

I don't think it will phase the majority, nobody cares. No resolve.

Brian

·
"The" masheenist
5,381 Posts
We always take time out to thank any soldier or military personnel when we see them in a public realm.

"So that others may be free...."

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,449 Posts
We always take time out to thank any soldier or military personnel when we see them in a public realm.

"So that others may be free...."

Your a Great American despite what 26 says!

·
Premium Member
5,952 Posts
Do you want to add a time limit to that?

Because the twin towers lasted only a few months in the public eye.

I don't think it will phase the majority, nobody cares. No resolve.

Brian
Nobody?

Rethink that one Brian.:):)punch:D:D

Every day.
Every single day.

·
Premium Member
5,952 Posts
I was at a wedding this weekend and there was a young guy carrying a baby around for most of the reception having a great time.
He had a high and tight haircut and I figured he was a Marine.
I went up to thank him and shake his hand asked if he was military he said no, why? I said the haircut, he looked sheepish and said no, fish and game.
:p:p

·
"The" masheenist
5,381 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.