Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
I know nothing about them, other than I've read they're better. I want to learn more about why they are better. Are they hard to get working correctly ? Hard to set-up and wire ? Pro's and con's ? Reliability ? Thanks !!!
As was posted in another thread, if you could see your timing and what it was doing with a conventional distributor, even the best racing dist., you wouldn't think the engine would even run.
A crank trigger provides a much more stablel and accurate spark throughout the rpm range. They're esay to wire and easy to install. reliable as there are no moving parts, and no timing advance. If you need advance in your application, you'll have ot run a digital ignition with a programmable advance. Otherwise they work with most basic elecrtronic ignitions.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Everything Scott said above.

We have always checked the timing on our boat at 4,000 rpm after we pulled the engine off the dyno. It's amazing how stable the crank trigger is compaired to the dizzy. The timing at 4,000 use to jump all over the place after the crank trigger it's rock soild, no bounce at all.

Don't even think about it just pull the trigger and buy one.

Sleeper CP :D

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
Yea what they said.

·
Distinguished Member
5,771 Posts
Don't even think about it just pull the trigger and buy one.

Sleeper CP :D
Damn Sleeper, thanks to you guys, I've been pullin the trigger so much lately it sounds like an Uzi going off around here. :)

The crank trigger/MSD 7 is next on the list, as long as I come home from B-field with everything in one piece :)devil

·
Registered
417 Posts
looks like i will be getting one also chris, timing is jumping from 34 to 25 above 3500. i dont like this and also wonder what kind of power that may be costing me. and i only said i was going to do a couple things on the boat this winter oops, that was just to keep the woman happy

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
First crank trigger I ran on the dyno was an old MSD magnetic pickup with the steel inserts in the aluminum wheel. That was what 20 years ago or more. When I saw how stable the timing was, I knew it was the way to go. Never looked back for recommending, or running personally.
If you are not fully impressed....well...you just don't like cool. LOL
Wags
OK, with that being said, depending upon appliication, you may have to make a spacer or two to change alignment of stuff. I consider thhis normal. Blower applications are no big deal either. Two thumbs up.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
i was doing a little reading and it sounds like i can use my old disy as long as it is locked out which it is. is this correct?
Exactly.

It needs to be in good working order and it sounds like the shaft is likely loose in yours.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts

·
Distinguished Member
5,771 Posts
That's where the problem starts! :D
Oh no, the problem started when my mag wouldn't clear my new tunnel ram. We all KNOW a mag is THE ignition to use... I thought we cleared that up a long time ago...... :D

Backing slowly towards the door........

JK guys, I concede. There will be a MSD/Crank trigger on my boat for the October race (as long as I'm through hurting engine parts :mad: )

1 - 20 of 49 Posts