Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
CODE8
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since summer is coming and we will be doing the long road trips to the river and other places, I want to put a dvd player in the truck for the kids. I was leaning towards those portable headrest units so I can put it in my truck as well as transfer it into my wife's suv later. I also like those flip down units from the roof but it looks like it might block my rear view mirror.

Any pros or cons, makes or models on any car dvd set up would help out. Post a pic if you can. tks...

·
I am Roger..the Shrubber
1,080 Posts
I was going to put a 10.2 flip down in the car I had laying around but (multiple reasons against it) decided to go with the portable headrest monitors for 2 reason.

1- My line of sight was not hindered. I like to see straight out the back while the monitor blocks the unwanted headlights of a vehicle it's still in the way. Plus the kids necks can get a wicked kink looking at a screen slightly side ways. Chiropractors are thanking me everywhere.

2- I got the headrest monitors because it's removable and comes with a cigarette lighter for power. I can toss it on the boat for my little one. Hopefully it will shift her focus from pasties over to Dora. Plus, it was about $130 from Wally Marcus. So if it goes in the drink for whatever reason I'm only going to be pissed for a little bit.

There was a nicer RCA dual headrest, Dual DVD player setup for $249. Seems like if you have more than one kid with more than one preference for movies that's the way to fly. Plus, with a power converter you can play a PS3 while the other watches a movie.

The more permanent higher end solutions are nice. They have headrest with DVD and wireless headphones built-in but you're looking at about $700.

It comes down to whatever you want.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
336 Posts
We have two 7" flip downs(might be 9") in our Yukon XL doesn't block my view much at all. We have a DVD player, PSP, and X-box set up with a 3-way switcher and wireless headphones. Kids can watch/play seperate sytems in the middle seats or the back seats while the wife and I can listen to music over the actual car stereo(or you can listen to any player through the stereo itself).
Can't give you any info on the brand names, our was already installed when we bought the car.
I'm just not a big fan of the headrest ones, no particular reason just personel preference.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Installed the Vizualogic A-1290 All-in-One Headrest Monitor (9-Inch TFT-LCD Monitor, Wireless 2-Channel Headphones, Multi-Source), in my 2500 HD for the kids.

Allows each kid to watch a different movie while we travel. Best part, I also got the connections so they can play video games heading to the river. Keeps them happy and mouths closed.

Cost was not cheap, but they are paying off in keeping the kids calm while driving.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Got a Pioneer AVIC Z1 in the F250 dash, and a 15'' flip down for the rear.

·
Registered
386 Posts
In my Tahoe I have a Kenwood in dash 7" monitor and 2 Visualogic 7" headrest monitors. I have a 10 disc DVD / CD player in there also but I don't use it very much at all. If you go with headrest look into using your I Pod for video. This is what I have started doing. You don't have to worry about the discs getting scratched or broke and the kids also have music they want and all of it can be listened to threw the wireless headphones. I have mine set up so that i can run one i pod with kids movies for the back and one i pod with my music for the front. I got rid of my Sat radio and just use my I pod now. Just another idea but it works great for me.

·
CODE8
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i use my lap top. kids love it. they can play games as well if they dont want to watch a movie.
I thought about the laptop because of the screen size and how clear it was. But, I didn't know how it would work speaker wise...... I didn't know if the laptop was going to be loud enough... let me know plz..

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
We've had both the 10" flip down and the head rest monitors and have decided headrest monitors are the way to go. We got the more permanent ones in the Yukon that connect to the head unit and a portable one for the motorhome, boat, jeep, where ever. The portable one has speakers that attach or it can be plugged into a stereo. Works well for non-convential locations. For the long road trips in the Yukon nothing beats the headrest monitors.

Chris

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I have the 7 inch screens in my headrest and the player mounts in the center console of my F150. I recently turned the truck in off lease and kept the system including headrests. If you have an F150 (black Leather) PM me I was about to put them on Ebay. System worked great with wireless headphones (included).

·
Registered
452 Posts
We have had the 2 removable head rest sets for 6 years now and the kids are just starting to have different taste in movies. We will probably upgrade to the 2 dvd set this summer to keep the peace.
We talked about putting a stationary unit in the truck but didn't lack of vision or the cost nor the ability to move them from car to truck to ...

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
I use a laptop with 2 headphone jacks. Get the adapter so you can plug in 2.

Or you can buy a portable player for under $200.

I see people spend $1,000 on a flip, doesn't make sense to me.

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
also have a game port on driverside middle piller with a plug onoff switch and 3 rca style jacks so kids can plug in there play station or wii and play on long trips the head unit is eclipes (sp sorry) its touch screen with remote and has dual dvd players and plays everything and has gps which also is touch screen the screen flips down and the dvd dins are behind the screen also has ipod control on the screen. ipod plug in the glove box. plug it in and forget about it.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts