Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I have another question regarding water flow to the headers. Its a set of bassett long collectors that came with this rogers project. I have the "T", which has a new ball and spring in it. #8 lines feeding headers, and a ball valve on the thermostat housing. When we run this setup on the hose, (about 6 psi) and when I unseat the ball valve even just a hair, it immediately fills the header tubes and water is pouring out the drain holes. It does this with both my dump lines fully open. Am I doing something wrong? I know I have the spring in the T in the right direction, and I cant figure this out. Im gonna try and attach a picture of my set up so you guys can see. Any help is going to be greatly appreciated.

·
on 3 go.....
846 Posts
Afish85,
Ball valves aren't for regulating flow, just on/off. Buy yourself a simple "metering" valve (more than 2 full turns) and your done.

Or just run em dry like! ;)

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
bassetts and the "garden hose" dont get along to well if your not regulating the water flow to the engine. Run the headers dry on the hose so you dont hydrolock the engine .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im sorry guys, I added the ball valve after that photo was taken. It comes off the center of the Tstat housing. My bad. And I have a pressure regulator inline, and a hose hook up/shutoff/ and an oh crap handle on the jet pump feed line.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Im sorry guys, I added the ball valve after that photo was taken. It comes off the center of the Tstat housing. My bad. And I have a pressure regulator inline, and a hose hook up/shutoff/ and an oh crap handle on the jet pump feed line.

So where do the other two lines go ?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Theres no need to restrict or shut off the dump lines. When the motor is on the hose, the water should spew out of the dump lines, just as Futs mentioned. The hoses look new, but the set-up looks like it's too much. I like to keep it simple, and its never hurt my motor. Each boater has a specific way of running their cooling system too.

·
lol, right.....
1,168 Posts
Are you "sure" the T-valve is assembled correctly, with the ball on the little end of the spring?

Just asking, as I snotted up a fresh 429 few years ago because I trusted the plumbing job on my boat was done correctly.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Hey guys, I have another question regarding water flow to the headers. Its a set of bassett long collectors that came with this rogers project. I have the "T", which has a new ball and spring in it. #8 lines feeding headers, and a ball valve on the thermostat housing. When we run this setup on the hose, (about 6 psi) and when I unseat the ball valve even just a hair, it immediately fills the header tubes and water is pouring out the drain holes. It does this with both my dump lines fully open. Am I doing something wrong? I know I have the spring in the T in the right direction, and I cant figure this out. Im gonna try and attach a picture of my set up so you guys can see. Any help is going to be greatly appreciated.
the bassett t is "pressure opened", meaning that when the pressure into the t rises to a certain point, spring pressure is exceeded and the valve opens. with those 2 dump valves you have in the engine outlet (and god knows what other restrictions there are in the dump lines), the city water pressure can exceed the pressure needed to open the bassett. actually, city water pressure could easily exceed the basset t opening pressure even with the valves wide open. consequently, there could be no problem with the basset t functioning properly - the applied pressure is simply high enough to open it. so... you need to be very very careful about running the thing on a city water hose, and don't use those 2 valves to pressurize the engine.

personally, i'd get rid of those 2 outlet valves - you don't need 'em. ball valves -can- be used to throttle flow, it's just more desirable to use a globe or gate valve. i used a ball valve for years to open/close water to the headers, except it was under my seat.

someone mentioned a restriction to the bassett manifold. that's a good practice. the other thing you could do is remove all 8 1/8 pipe adapters from the manifolds to the headers, braze them over, and drill each 0.040, 0.045. you don't want a ton of water pouring into the headers.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I also install a 1/8th pipe plug in the #8 hose fitting to the water injector lines and dill a .060 hole in it to restrict water. {one each side]
X2 but i used a 7/16" set screw in the brass fitting at the header lines with a .090 hole and tapped the fitting for the set screw!

·
Strap on the JATO
305 Posts
X2 but i used a 7/16" set screw in the brass fitting at the header lines with a .090 hole and tapped the fitting for the set screw!
Did this work good for you WT? Too much or not enough? This is exactly
how i'm setting up my Rewarders w/ a Moroso solenoid valve & RPM switch. The holes pretty small in the -8 fitting w/ the restrictor, just
wondering what I'm going to get??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Theres no need to restrict or shut off the dump lines. When the motor is on the hose, the water should spew out of the dump lines, just as Futs mentioned. The hoses look new, but the set-up looks like it's too much. I like to keep it simple, and its never hurt my motor. Each boater has a specific way of running their cooling system too.

this is what i have aswell getting ready to fire it up this weekend, i will see how it works

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the input

Hey guys, thanks for all your input. I messed with it a little last night, and I took my T apart and got to looking. Theres a small piece of the seat where the ball sits missing. This is alright though, because that T is going to be replaced when the new rewarders get here from Tom. And Im going to attempt to get the fittings out of my old bassetts and braze them up and drill the .040 holes in them. If they dont fit the rewarder headers, they at least made good practice haha. How much water actually comes out the weep holes in these headers while cruising above 2k rpms? And I really dont want to redo all my water plumbing, already have a bunch of time and $ in it, so I was wondering if you guys think I could get away with just shutting one of them off? We used 2 dump lines because I read somewhere that water in has to equal water out?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for all your input. I messed with it a little last night, and I took my T apart and got to looking. Theres a small piece of the seat where the ball sits missing. This is alright though, because that T is going to be replaced when the new rewarders get here from Tom. And Im going to attempt to get the fittings out of my old bassetts and braze them up and drill the .040 holes in them. If they dont fit the rewarder headers, they at least made good practice haha. How much water actually comes out the weep holes in these headers while cruising above 2k rpms? And I really dont want to redo all my water plumbing, already have a bunch of time and $ in it, so I was wondering if you guys think I could get away with just shutting one of them off? We used 2 dump lines because I read somewhere that water in has to equal water out?
You want no water coming out of the weep holes, the weep holes are for letting out water that is left over so your headers don't rust from the inside or say you are running 5ooo rpm and you let off the pump is still pushing water to your block so that extra water has to go some where...................but thats my 2 cents :)sphss

1 - 17 of 17 Posts