Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I got there about 10 minutes after it happened (I think...I saw the smoke about 10 minutes b'for I had to hit the brakes)...from what I heard from someone that got there sooner and was helping out..

Chevy truck w/ bass boat in tow tried to pass the SUV (the one on fire) and cut back over to avoid an oncoming car, hitting the flamming car and rolling his own rig.

Not sure if there's any truth to this...just heard it from someone who got there before me.

Dunno how the fire started, but it wasn't pretty. about 15 minutes after I got there the FD and CHP showed up. There were plenty of people around so I figured I'd move on. Gotta give a thumbs up to those that helped out....one guy unloaded his tarp and set it up for some shade...others brought water....All I had was dirty laundry and some warm beer in a cooler....it was a lesson to be a little better prepared for next time. I tore up the truck a bit off roading my way outta there. Dunno if any casualties or not...heard of a couple minor injuries but that's it.

Hope everyone made it out alive

·
I hate wakeboard boats
169 Posts
I was about 10min behing the accident. I saw a big cloud black smoke in the distance and thought it could be an accident. The were a LOT of complete assH&*^s on rice right before the accident going 40 mph towing TOO big of a trailer with too small of a truck. Then tons of people were making very dangerous passes in turns and passing 5 cars at a time. I knew it was a recipe for disaster. I was advised it was a 3 hour plus delay and had to spin around and go trough 29 Palms. 6 hours trip once all said and done.

If anyone knows the youg girls in a black pre runner ford let them know there complete idiots !!! Barely enough power to get out of there own way they were passing 5+ at a time darting in and out of people. And this was after they got a ticket in Parker.

·
Old Skool Member
6,519 Posts
I came thru there today and also Friday. I hated it the entire time. Today I guess it was about 8:30 or so and I did not see anything. Pretty quiet but I was trying to get thru there before all the peeps headed home from Havasu. I went to Palm Desert from AZ so it was really my own logical choice.

That road scares the shit out of me......

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I was there about 15 minutes after it happened. People were sayind everyone was okay. I went offroad around in the desert. It was pretty bad.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I came home via Parker, #1, Erindale through Blythe. My friend traveled Desert Center and got re-routed on to 95 because the road was shut down. Crazy road, crazier drivers!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Had a friend who lived at the river and one of his buddies was a CHP. We talked about what they look for on that road. Speeders? Not so much. He said he was always on the watch for someone going over the doubles. He said he would rather write a ticket for that, than have to deal with some of the head-ons on that road. Lots of burn spots on that road. Be careful and hopefully the folk in this one are OK.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
its so much easier to go I-40 home. Yes it may be 20 miles more but you have two lanes each way and no woop de doo's. They should just shut rice road for good

·
Huntington Beach Havasu
2,092 Posts
I have used Rice Road for years and found out idiots are on all roads. Last month on the I 40 a guy pulling a 28 Magic Deck passed me going at least 90MPH.

·
Broke mo fo
3,184 Posts
Prayers to those involved. Sounds like a bad accident. :(

Take the road through Ehrenburg. It takes an extra 10-15 minutes at most. Definitely worth it IMO. I haven't been on Rice Road in over 4 years.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Prayers to those involved. Sounds like a bad accident. :(

Take the road through Ehrenburg. It takes an extra 10-15 minutes at most. Definitely worth it IMO. I haven't been on Rice Road in over 4 years.
I'll run Rice mid-week ONLY...

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
:mad: With the all mighty stimulus money, or The American Recovery Act Monies, why don't they widen this piece of shit hiway to four lanes !!!, and put people to work !!!!, it otta be called Death Road !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

·
Senior Expert
252 Posts
Soft Shoulders

Unfortunatly any two lane road with a soft shoulder is an issue. What happens a lot of times is people drop their right tire in the soft shoulder and then whip the wheel to correct and the vehicle rolls like a mofo cause they are usually traveling at fairly good clip. The road down to Blythe from Havi or Parker isn't much better, it's a white knuckler also. Seen a lot of bad stuff on that stretch. You gotta really be alert driving those roads.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Last trip there i was telling my daughter how many people have died on this road almost seems weekly, but you dont here about it unless your on hb,pb,rdp...Tried finding out how many have died in the past years but couldnt come up with any info.Anyone know a site to look this up?

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
Unfortunatly any two lane road with a soft shoulder is an issue. What happens a lot of times is people drop their right tire in the soft shoulder and then whip the wheel to correct and the vehicle rolls like a mofo cause they are usually traveling at fairly good clip. The road down to Blythe from Havi or Parker isn't much better, it's a white knuckler also. Seen a lot of bad stuff on that stretch. You gotta really be alert driving those roads.
These 2 roads aren't even close to being the same type road. I will never drive rice road again. The drive to Blythe is a lot different. But 15 miles longer.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts