Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to adjust foward reverse and nuetral on berkley 12 jg not really any nuetral reverse good forward good just nuetral. Bucket needs to come furthar down in nuetral position but how to adjust it?

·
The Man
1,788 Posts
How to adjust foward reverse and nuetral on berkley 12 jg not really any nuetral reverse good forward good just nuetral. Bucket needs to come furthar down in nuetral position but how to adjust it?
You might try putting the handle in the neutral position and see where the reverse bucket is. If you're going forward while in neutral try and adjust the bucket down a half turn or so on the cable and see where that puts you at.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
When in nuetral the bucket is like 3/4 open almost wide how do you adjust the cable to go down?assuming it should be like 1/2 to 3/4 closed for nuetral any pics may help. Do you take the pen out of the nut and move those nuts up and down? Or somewhere else?

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you cant move the ones at the bucket far enough, you will have to make the adjustment at the other end of the cable where it attaches to the shifter.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Only the ones with SKIERS on the back.LOL I KNOW usualy never need it. Detents? My lever is free flowing normal on jet boats I assume detents are the levers used in outboards and I/O the ones u have to pull the lever to engage fowrd or reverse. Mine hase the morse I believe thanks ill try to adjust it at the lever today appriciate all the help.

·
The Good
483 Posts
What about at the handle? Can't you loosen the set screw and rotate it where you want it and the press the control handle back on?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Wait! Jet Boats have nuetral ???;)
i agree...i have "never" seen a Jet boat with a neutral!!!!....i think the "experts" would agree that you cant get the bucket into the position, so that the water will flow rite, so the boat doesnt move!...i could be wrong & if so, i would like to see how its done!...just sayin' my .02 cents

FastRat

·
The Man
1,788 Posts
i agree...i have "never" seen a Jet boat with a neutral!!!!....i think the "experts" would agree that you cant get the bucket into the position, so that the water will flow rite, so the boat doesnt move!...i could be wrong & if so, i would like to see how its done!...just sayin' my .02 cents

FastRat
Seems like mine have all tended to go forward some when the handle was straight up, wasn't ever anything I was worried enough about because I could move the handle more to reverse and stop it pretty much. I think he's just trying to find the sweet spot where it won't move as much either direction when in the neutral (not forward or reverse) position.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

FastRat
Not sayin one might not find some "nuetral middle ground" , My FIL for example had his "adjusted" to where he would leave it tie nose and tail to thier dock and "let it warm up" it would still drag the dock fore or aft a bit , Jet boats: reverse is marginal and they back up like a fork lift :D

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
They aren't bad for boats with other types of drives. In a jetboat it would take alot of adjusting and testing to get it to lock in "neutral"
i like the detent shifters. just take the thing all apart, fill the neutral and reverse detent with devcon. file/sand until smooth. put it back together and the only detent that'll work is forward. works just fine...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts