Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a guy drop off a little 14' Four Winns fling jet boat that he found in a barn, yes a true barn find although not really a treasure. The boat has never had an engine or a pump in it (hull isn't cut) I was thinking, hey maybe an out board on the back? Anyone know of anyone ever doing this? Bad idea? If not a really bad idea how many horse would you hang off the back of one of these. I spent a little time looking at it tonight and fabing up a transom/jack plate would be easy enough. Should I be seeking psychological help?

Looks like this one.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1415071618075576893iWYARG?vhost=rides

·
deckboat owner
480 Posts
I think an OB would have a the weight way too far back. I had one with a 120 OMC TurboJet and it seemed like that factory. That thing was way too squirrely. Handled just like a big jet ski. But even slow you were standing up on the tail. Neat to be found w/o cutouts, but with the swim deck and shape of the bottom, you'd be WAY back there with a transom mount. I don't know what else you could squeeze in there though. Scarab had their lil' v-6 Volvo jets in a Sprint, probably way too big and heavy. I don't think there's near enough room for any i/o set up. Maybe the SeaDoo Speedster route of twin jets...Good Luck

·
Registered
760 Posts
Check With The Coast Guard...

I'd find out what horsepower the coast guard allows. Next, I'd find a clean used outboard on E-Bay, build your own set back (Enough set back so the motor can tilt up without hitting the boat...)...I think it will be a fine boat...

I'd double check that the bottom doesn't have some kind of notches where the jet was to be installed. May need plates, sooner or later...

I've never seen a jet boat or V-Drive boat that didn't work (Run faster, corner better) with an outboard, not to mention with the engine hanging on the back, you have some storage space where the inboard motor would have been...

ADD:

I'm guess a three cylinder 75 Evinrude would be about the size you'd need...

·
Under yo mommas bed
1,884 Posts
The Coast Guard doesn't have anything to say about it. They only reccomend the hp rating. You can put a 300 drag on it if you want you just wont be able to get insurance. I've been this route many times and the juge threw them all out.
I wouldn't waste my time or money on that thing, wrong bottom. It'll chine walk you to hell and back.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to give it a shot, I'll keep an eye on the local craigs list and see what I can com up with in the 70-100 horse range. I wont be out much if it doesn't work out.

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts
hOW DOES A BOAT LIKE THAT MAKE IT OUT THE DOOR? Chit'n caps.

This is a factory piece, I can't see them letting one go without being built. Do you have a title to it, hull I D number?? That's an odd find.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No title for it, I supose I should check on that. It does have a HIN on it. I wonder if it is possible to get a title? Then the next thing what if it was stollen in '94 am I gonna be on the hook for it? I wonder how I check that out with out ending up in trouble?
Maybe I should just mount it to a pole and cement it into the ground and use it for a yard ornament.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts