Performance Boats Forum banner

Advice on tow vehicle

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  5akman 
#1 ·
Okay, so I just bought a used DUSKY 233. I calculated what I thought would be the weight, turns out it is about 1000lbs more than I thought. The boat with trailer weighs in at 6000lbs, and that was with a half tank of gas, no fishing gear, no cooler or ice, and no drinks (they add up). I currently only tow it about 4 miles, all back road with a speed limit of 35mph. I have towed it a few times with our Lexus GX460 which has a max rating of 6500lbs. I really hate pushing it.

I am looking at tow vehicles between $8-10k, it will really only be used as an alternate vehicle and to tow. I may also buy a travel trailer.

With all that said, what is everyone's thoughts, I am not afraid of high milage. Gas or desiel, 1/2 or 3/4. I want at least extended cab, prefer crew. Oh, and should I go with short or long bed.

Thanks

Scott

#2 ·
I would suggest a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck. Half ton won't have the towing or braking power needed for a boat that size. Better to have a four wheel drive and not need it than to have a two wheel drive and need the 4x4. Everything else boils down to personal preference and what's available when your looking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.