Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently have a 1974 Tahiti with a Ford 460 and Panther Jet. I have a opportunity to pick up a 79 Galaxy with a Berkley that is already set up for a 460. The Galaxy seems bigger and has a back seat (which I need) but the wood is rotted and needs replaced. Should I just build a back seat for the Tahiti or just go ahead and get the Galaxy and sell the Tahiti. It would probably be pretty even money wise in the long run.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I would say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. buy the other boat and make a project out of it and have fun with the one that runs.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I would say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. buy the other boat and make a project out of it and have fun with the one that runs.

x2

I understand the temptation, but by all means don't screw up the one you already got working! I can't ever keep mine running, so if you're water ready, I say, keep her wet!

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
Looks like the galaxy has a je pump. Might just run what you have and decide to get a better hull later with full stringers and a jc pump.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Looks like the galaxy has a je pump. Might just run what you have and decide to get a better hull later with full stringers and a jc pump.
DITTO. The je pump is a step or two lower than the panther you have and alot easier to glass in a jc or jg in the future if you opt (which I would )to keep the tahiti. Plus you may want to check the opinions of others on which hull was a better build from the start. MLAO M

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Just thought I'd add this since time permits now .... Boy theres alot to ponder when comparing an Berkely "E" jet to a Panther Jet ,A Panther jet is an Axial flow jet and provides acceptable performance with small to moderate HP. The Panther has however serious limitations in terms of improvements and or modifications and for that matter even general repairs (with the exception of the "energizer") and in todays world may this jet be fast approaching obsolesence , a 12JE Berkeley insert mixed flow is conversley is great Jet drive , very closley related in design and function to its 12j C,G siblings , shares 80% of the same original components can be upgraded with everything available to its "brothers" except the actual intake , and loaders and its even remarkabley similar to few AT, Dominator and Legend offerings. With very little work effort can be made to perform exceptionally well indeed ..... ;) Tom

These pics should provide some "C" vs "E" "contrast" ...............

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I was made an offer I couldn't refuse. I traded a car (that I wasn't using anyway) that was maybe worth $1,000 for the Galaxy and he is doing the labor of swapping my engine. I am also getting a Edelbrock intake and 460 heads. I guess that seems to be going against most of the advice here. The Tahiti does have problems though that I didn't go into. The left gas gauge doesn't work, and there is something in the right tank that is blocking fuel. I need to pull both tanks and then glass them back in when I'm done fixing the problems. I have decided that once I get the galaxy the way I want it, I will get another 460 and put it into the Tahiti. Also the Galaxy hull is in much better shape then the Tahiti. All that being said, how do I verify which Berkley pump I have?

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
If the galaxy hasnt ran in a while you might want to flush out those tanks as well. Inspect the pump before engine install. Also check out your wires, guages,floor ect...There will always be some sort of issue with a boat. Just take the right steps first before you start going backwards fast. If you can fix or replace now youll feel safer out in the water with friends or family.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the galaxy hasnt ran in a while you might want to flush out those tanks as well. Inspect the pump before engine install. Also check out your wires, guages,floor ect...There will always be some sort of issue with a boat. Just take the right steps first before you start going backwards fast. If you can fix or replace now youll feel safer out in the water with friends or family.
Already pulled the tanks. They are bolted into the Galaxy and glassed into the Tahiti.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts