Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Monrovia in the House
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some scratches so I wet sanded them with 2000grt the scratches are gone and the gel is good just need to get the shine back....Thank
What steps do I need to do?
What do I need to buy? polish, wax???????

·
New here
4,219 Posts
A wool pad on a rotary buffer. Orbital will not work at this stage, nor will a foam pad. I've tried all the combinations. I use 3M SuperDuty rubbing compound and a good quality wool cutting pad - first.

Then, I switch to a foam cutting pad and either stick with the SuperDuty or downsize to the Microfinishing compound (less agressive). This will get most of the swirls out.

Then, I would start with an orbital and use whatever glaze and wax you like.

I grew up working in bodyshops and sanding/buffing was one of the first things I learned.

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts
Oh yea, wool. I've never touched a foam pad. And that fake wool crap is no good. Get wool, and use a screw driver or something like that to run on the pad. This will clean it out of any compound. Thats a free trick.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
The foam pads really are great - AFTER compounding. Or, as I mentioned, as a SECOND STAGE of compounding.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Most of the So Cal marine manufacturers use a product called Rolite and green buffing rouge. Rolite is aluminum polished and was sold by L&L Marine. All they would do is apply the Rolite to the surface of the boat with a chip brush, load a buffing pad with the green rouge and buff the surface. You don’t have to worry too much about buffer speed as gel-coat does not burn like automotive paint.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Most of the So Cal marine manufacturers use a product called Rolite and green buffing rouge. Rolite is aluminum polished and was sold by L&L Marine. All they would do is apply the Rolite to the surface of the boat with a chip brush, load a buffing pad with the green rouge and buff the surface. You don’t have to worry too much about buffer speed as gel-coat does not burn like automotive paint.
Rolite sold out to another company. The same product goes by the name of Buff Magic. Diversified/sea land/quicksilver (all one company now) sells it to their dealers. Find one of the dealers and they can get it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts