Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 21' daytone and when a lauch the boat with nossel open and go to start the boat it takes about a min before the boat will move ? after this never has trouble is their a problem or is it normal! most of my other boat took offf right away , mabe a worn wear ring or loose pump? i also get a hermonic noise at idel witch is around 1000rpm!
:indifferent0001:

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have a 21' daytone and when a lauch the boat with nossel open and go to start the boat it takes about a min before the boat will move ? after this never has trouble is their a problem or is it normal! most of my other boat took offf right away , mabe a worn wear ring or loose pump? i also get a hermonic noise at idel witch is around 1000rpm!
Does the boat have a full droop on it? If it does, sometimes it traps air inside. try opening the nozzle as soon a the boat inters the water.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Your jet was likely "airlocked" (air trapped in suction and bowl) when initially the jet was submerged , happens to jet boats particularly with droops, also can occur sometimes when launched with the reverse gate closed You may need a bowl bleeder to alleviate this Tom

·
83 Crusader - 468 BBC
2,525 Posts
I had same issue after installing a full droop. You need an "air bleeder" valve, cheap and easy fix.....call Tom

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Mine does it pretty bad too.tight uwr clearence coupled to a droop cause mine to air lock if i dont fast launch the boat off the trailer.my gf always launches to boat(or my daughter). I run a race nozzle with no bucket at all and have jus gtn in the habit of backing them down faster than normal cuz it shoves water reversing thru the pump.helps alil but doeant get all the air out.i do need a prime-a-jet tho, winter upgrade i guess.

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
After laugh takes a min for pump to prim
Maybe your pump is shy and doesn't like laughter.

Mine does the same thing. My boat has a full setback. I changed my hand hole cover nuts to knobs. When I back it in I just loosen the hand hole cover. That evacuates the air with a quickness. Not an option for everyone but it works great for me.

As for the noise, Do you know if it has a stainless impeller?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i guess this is good news, i always back down with the nosel open and the boat will sit in the water for about 10 min before we fire it up and leave have had a few times that i got worried that the boat was going to drift back to shore so know i ore the boat out a ways and just wait for presure to build i guess a air bleeder is in the works as well!

:)devil

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
My previous boat did that, didn't worry about it til we were racing and a big hp Daytona managed to keep the air bubble in it the entire time he was idling, he hit it, sky rocketed the rpm's and u could tell right when it primed. For those that say it was a slip I doubt it, I had watched him run 3 times prior with no issues. I knew mine would do it at the lake, but I didn't want it costing me at a race, bought a prime-a-jet from hi-tech and haven't had an issue since.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
going to order the bleeder soon, now any ideas about the hermonic noise at ideal? if i keep the rpms aroung 1200 it wont make the noise but at ideal 1000 rpm you feel it all through the floor and can here it over the open headers.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
That is just the splines of the pump shaft and the yoke rattling back and forth from the overlap of the cam shaft. Sometimes adding a little grease will help it, sometimes not. There may be some wear in the splines of the yoke or pump shaft. If you can grab the yoke of the DS and wiggle it with your hands, you might want to pull it apart and look at it for for a winter project. It's not going to hurt anything until then.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My boat has the same problem. I've found that if I have the diverter nozzle all the way up and the bucket open it primes faster.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Noise

Check your impeller nut. The last one we had that made noise, we put a new spline coupler on. Made no difference, turned out to be a loose impeller nut. The pump had about 10 hours on it, with locktight.:))eek:))

·
Registered
673 Posts
going to order the bleeder soon, now any ideas about the hermonic noise at ideal? if i keep the rpms aroung 1200 it wont make the noise but at ideal 1000 rpm you feel it all through the floor and can here it over the open headers.
Is it a faint rattly noise or a smooth hum kinda harmonic? Is it like a soft clunkity sound or a faint hum like rubbing a finger around a wet wine glass?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its sounds more like a hermonic noise, Ratteling hum sound, i have been told its normal but thought i would ask! when ever you get sombody new in the boat they always ask and i just ask them what noise! lol :grin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts