Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Southern NM/West TX peeps call Elephant Butte their home lake? We do most of our boating there. Just about every weekend during the summer you can find us out there somewhere. If you ever see me give me a wave or stop by for a cold one.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I call it my second home! My favorite place in the world for some reason.

We were down for the day 2 weekends ago, looks like they had a BIG wind storm. All the south facing beaches were baron, and all the north facing beaches had 3' of blow sand. Was fun!

Water was barely peeking over between long point and the island. I think we are planning on going down for 4 days this coming weekend, even though its supposed to be windy.

The only sad part down there now is it looks like Casa Taco might not re-open with JR gone. :(

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Any Southern NM/West TX peeps call Elephant Butte their home lake? We do most of our boating there. Just about every weekend during the summer you can find us out there somewhere. If you ever see me give me a wave or stop by for a cold one.
I plan a trip there when it warms up, if you see me pull me over also

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looks like this weekend is going to be nice weather wise. I will be there, thinking about camping from fri to sun. WooHoo.... First lake trip of the season!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ill be there next weekend...long point most likely.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Another one

Count me in as E.B. Laketrash. I go to the muddy puddle (caballo) quite a bit too though. EB seems to get pretty crowded sometimes for someone who likes to ski alot.

I have been Caballo twice already this season, how is the butte for water level? is the sandbar still connected to Long Point?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Been down the past 3 weekends, came home early yesterday.

Water is low. The sandbar has been connected for quite some time. In fact we've been parking the 5th wheels out on the sandbar for almost 2 months now.

Been good weather until yesterday afternoon. I took some sandbar pics from yesterday I'll post up.

·
OU812 Member
293 Posts
butte

The water is up.The island by the main marina is almost under.Yes looking forward to a awesome summer.Lots of water and sunshine.I was down to water yesterday 42 degrees water temp.But the fishing is slow also.The sand bar on long point is almost covered but not just yet.I try to go to water every day.I live about seven minutes from water and work in the butte area.It has been nice and quiet down here.Iam ready to stop four wheeling on beach and get to playing with water toys.We also got alot of snow some still on ground.COMING ON SUMMER.

·
Registered
944 Posts
The Butte is a lot of fun, the water's been down for years but there are a bunch of us crossing our fingers that it will fill up soon with all of the snow we've been getting.
I haven't been on a regular basis in awhile but I'm hoping to get there this summer as well! Have a blast on your first camping trip of the year!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Moving to NM...where's the water?!

Bouncing around the country and landing in Albuquerque next summer with a new assignment. Aside from Elephant Butte, any good places to drag my 20' jetboat loaded with family to? Bought my first jet boat at Elephant Butte in 2004, look forward to getting back and hopefully enjoying some good water down there.
Thanks for the info in advance!

STRETCH

·
Registered
390 Posts
Welcome to Albuq... The question of "Where is the Water" is one I have been asking for several decades now with no good answers. You got the Butte to the South, Conchas to the East, or Navajo to the North. All of them about 2-3 hours drive. The Butte is croweded and has nice sandy beach that requires a hefty 4x4 trucks to get through, conchas is small and rocky but not very crowded and navajo is rocky and cold... take your pick. Or a make the drive to Powell or Havasu and your in heavin :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Has anyone been to the Butte lately? Is the water level coming up?

We're hoping to get up there late in the month. :D

·
OU812 Member
293 Posts
Butte

Good news to all that comes to elephant butte.The water has came up quite alot.The island by the main marina has gone below the water level,Today i was down by water still real cold 46 degrees.The wind for the last few daze has been crazy bad.Today temp was a nice 78 then the wind started up and gave us some elephant butte snow,SAND BLOWING.Alot of places to park,HA HA It is almost that time of year again.I start Easter weekend still alittle cool but we Have heater in Fifth wheel or if to cold we are about seven min from lake.This makes it real nice at times OK all the time,The time is about to change so it going to be camping again,Thanx to all.Mel

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the info Mel! We'll probably wait 'till the weather warms up a bit for camping and continue staying at the EB Inn.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Bringing it back to the top, anybody been to the butte in the last few weeks? Been to Caballo twice and water is just a little lower than end of season last year.

Does anybody boat at Brantley? Looks like a lot of surface but not very deep anywhere. Any great ski spots?

·
Registered
390 Posts
The water at the butte is 2 ft higher than this time last year, the dam is open and it is starting to drop now though. I expect conditions to be about the same this year as last.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was down last weekend. Water is coming up...rattlesnake is about to become an island again.

Hope all you that go down for the light parade/luminarias this saturday have as good of weather as we had last weekend!

--Jeff

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts