Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Jet boat customer who also has a open bow 90's cruiser with a Alpha drive , he has a compliant of "hard to find nuetral" defined as when he slows for example to manuever , dock or trailer its hard to get into/find nuetral from drive or seems to go directly to reverse ? No other problems or noises , no leaks and no prior history . We don't work on these and have no expirience with them but would appreciate some guidance or knowledge ....Thanks in advance Tom

·
Registered
123 Posts
Is it hard as in "takes some effort" to go from forward to "neutral/reverse" or is it a smooth transition just not finding the sweet spot for neutral?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it hard as in "takes some effort" to go from forward to "neutral/reverse" or is it a smooth transition just not finding the sweet spot for neutral?
Sticking and binding to the point where when it "gives" I belive it goes past "N" and smacks "R" , got a hunch its a cable ? Tom

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sticking and binding to the point where when it "gives" I belive it goes past "N" and smacks "R" , got a hunch its a cable ? Tom
I had that problem when the idle on my boat was just high enough to make the tranition from foward to neutral feel like that and would end up in reverse instead of neutral. Check the idle and lower it if possible. That is the easy fix that I found and I haven't had any problems since.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have a Jet boat customer who also has a open bow 90's cruiser with a Alpha drive , he has a compliant of "hard to find nuetral" defined as when he slows for example to manuever , dock or trailer its hard to get into/find nuetral from drive or seems to go directly to reverse ? No other problems or noises , no leaks and no prior history . We don't work on these and have no expirience with them but would appreciate some guidance or knowledge ....Thanks in advance Tom
aqn alpha drive has a shift interupt switch sounds like its not working

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Follow the previous advice and also, these literally have to idle below 800 RPM to work properly, many time the idle is too fast and it will do exactly what you describe...The interuptor swich being mis adjusted will do similar things, but the engine will sometimes inexplicably die. The switch literally just grounds out the ignition coil....I would start there....Make sure the micro switch screws are not too tight and that the cable moves smoothly without the engine running. May need someone to rotate the prop for you....

GT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts