Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What alternator is every one running on their BBC's.Will any automotive alternator work regardless of Year?
And what about starters with a rail kit? will a regular starter work ,without clearance issues? Thank's .....Hal

·
Renegade jet
472 Posts
I use a marine alternator in chrome finish, it came from ARSMARINE.COM . I believe it was only like $100. The starter is a high torque mini starter for a car and it fits with my rail kit.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
What alternator is every one running on their BBC's.Will any automotive alternator work regardless of Year?
And what about starters with a rail kit? will a regular starter work ,without clearance issues? Thank's .....Hal
For the best reliability and longevity you should run marine starter and alt. My starter is a new marine and is smaller than a car starter. My old starter got wet from the weep holes on my headers and gave out. The new one has lasted me three years without fail! You shouldn't have clearance issues with the new smaller high torque starters, I am not sure on the alt. Hope that helps.

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
I have a regular stock GM starter and it fits my rail kit just fine. For a cheap alternator I have used GM alternators with a built-in regulator (3 wire), I think they come in cars and trucks from around 1975 to maybe 1988. I wire them up as a one wire alternator.

I could be wrong, but I thought starters and such that are rated for marine use were rated that way so they could be used with an engine cover and are not neccessarily more water resistant than their non-marine counterparts. Anyone know for sure?

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
I run the Hardin Marine hi-torq mini starter and a 94 amp chrome 1 wire marine alternator. I too fully support running only marine parts in a boat. Regardless of whether or not you run an engine cover, IT'S A BOAT!!! NOT A CAR!!!

Furthermore, I'd rather spend the extra bucks for safety...no price cut is worth risking your life (or the life of others for that matter) over.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I could be wrong, but I thought starters and such that are rated for marine use were rated that way so they could be used with an engine cover and are not neccessarily more water resistant than their non-marine counterparts. Anyone know for sure?
AFAIK, the starter/alternators/carbs/etc are modified so they won't cause a spark in an engine compartment.

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
AFAIK, the starter/alternators/carbs/etc are modified so they won't cause a spark in an engine compartment.
to add to what slow said, gas fumes are heavier than air so they will sit in the bilge area when the boat has been sitting. If gas fumes are present and a spark occurs, with or without an engine cover, there's a real good chance of a fire.
In a car, the gas fumes will pass through the engine compartment to the ground and dissipate.

·
Swollen Member
216 Posts
I have a regular stock GM starter and it fits my rail kit just fine. For a cheap alternator I have used GM alternators with a built-in regulator (3 wire), I think they come in cars and trucks from around 1975 to maybe 1988. I wire them up as a one wire alternator.

Marine starters are sealed, automotive ones are not, your insurance company will not cover you or can drop you if you do not have marine approved chit and plus you'll burn your boat down to the ground.

·
B.A.M aka "Black Azz Mike
2,925 Posts
I use a mini high torque starter from autozone. They are low cost and have a lifetime warranty. Had mine for 4 years and no issues.......

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Im running a hi-torque IMI mini starter and a prestolite marine alternator, MSD marine distributor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts