Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to dismantle an alternator for painting? I pulled mine from the boat and took the cover off then two springs fell out that kept two little black box's? in place on the shaft. Sorry I don't know what that crap is LOL

any way I got them back in and it back together. Have I hurt anything? I also want to pull the pulley off it to paint it.

I want to paint the Alternator in white with a blue fan. I'm wondering if its a lot more work than I think it is?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
As long as you gor it back together right it will be fine. I found it helps it you stick a 2 inch finishng nail in through a hole in the back to hold the springs in place upon re-assembly...Once the shaft is back in you can pull the nail out.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Those two little thingies are brushes, you put the springs in then slide the brushes in and retain them with a small nail through a hole in the back. Reassemble and remove the nail. Yes you can dismantle it for painting, just lay it out as you take it apart.

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you need a pulley puller to get the fan off? I haven't tired yet but it would seem like its just one nut as long as you keep the fan from moving.

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool, thanks!

Ill do some painting tonight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts