Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dunno...I'm cutting out some new transom plates, and am going to make a new ride plate. What's easiest to take care of, anodized or powder coating or?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Anodizing protects below the surface and then you can powder coat over that for color matching. When you anodize you do have to seal the aliminum. The thing with aluminum, no matter which way you go aluminum starts to oxidize within 5 minutes. Myself, I'd powder coat, you can do many different colors and it does seal the part.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I dunno...I'm cutting out some new transom plates, and am going to make a new ride plate. What's easiest to take care of, anodized or powder coating or?
Anodize aluminum, powdercoat steel.

That's the word from my brother. A good source on metalurgy, I haven't a clue, myself. Both still need upkeep, but a simple wipe down after loading should make either stay good looking for years, IMO. FAR better than polishing! Friend of mine, whose boat looked GREAT when I last saw it, said it took over 4 hours of polishing to get it THAT cleaned up.

Ray

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you like the look of polished aluminum then have it chromed, very easy to take care of, hit it with windex and yer done. Powder coat would be my #2 choice and anodized alum starts to look like shiat in a couple of years. just my .02

Ironman

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
If aluminum is done right (prepped properly) there is no problem powder coating aluminum but preparation is manditory for anything.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you like the look of polished aluminum then have it chromed, very easy to take care of, hit it with windex and yer done. Powder coat would be my #2 choice and anodized alum starts to look like shiat in a couple of years. just my .02

Ironman
I honestly didn't know you could chrome aluminum.... I know I'm getting tired of polishing.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A couple of last quick questions. Does 6160 polish up and look the same as 5150? At a glance they sure look different here. What about something like this carb spacer? Just don't powder coat the inside? or is that o.k.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Should polish up and look great. When powder coating, the inside and the bolt holes are covered and plugged so the PC doesn't get inside. Until you deside what you want to do, you can polish the aluminum and then wash in some Dawn detergent and dry and spray it with clear lacqure to protect the finish for a while. Check your PMs.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
as far as your transom plates go, if you powder coat them the same color as your transom they will blend in and make a cleaner install IMO.

I would not PC the inside of the carb spacer.

in my experience the harder the aluminum the better shine and the longer it lasts before it dulls out. my MSD distributor housing looks almost chrome
but my oil pan just wont shine up very good.

everything on my transom, steps, transom plate ect will get clear powder coat. as will oil pan and anything difficult to get to.

when I win the lottery all the polished stuff will get that ceramic clear
that Embee does. until then I'll use lots of elbow grease:D

·
Registered
546 Posts
yes the different alloys in my experience will polish up differently, i find the 6061 and 7075 machine and polish up beautifully. this does not mean that a lot of the others wont with enough sanding and elbow grease.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
If you want shiny either chrome or polish and clear powder coat. Chrome is the best for me.

·
" Live Laterally "
4,536 Posts
Ta da!!!! Chrome it all. If I could I would chrome my boat.:D You cant go wrong and easy to keep clean. A little heavier but I am assuming your not trying break any speed records so CHROME IT!!!!!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Anodizing aluminum actually gives it a higher surface hardness. The problem with anodizing is to acheive the brilliant finish, you must first give it a superoir polishing job. This is time consuming and expensive. If you don't polish you can still anodize, but the part will come out dull. Powder coating is much cheaper due to the fact that you dont have to polish the part before hand. As tuff as powder coating is, it is in the end a surface coating and can chip, or peel out/push away from tightened bolts. Seen it. Anodizing can last for decades if exposure to the sun is kept at a minimum. It's the suns UV rays that fade it out over time. F1~

P.S. That open spacer on the cloverleaf manifold is going to give you unwanted turbulance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts