Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 74 Sanger bubbledeck that I bought mostly disassembled. I have never had an inboard boat of any kind before, and not having taken it apart myself, I am not sure I have all of the parts. I installed the brace that connects the rails at the prop mount (I dont know the proper name for it)and there is a quarter inch gap between the brace and the plate on the floor.The brace is tight to the rails and is resting on the floor at each end. My question for now is, am I missing a spacer, or should I draw this gap
up with the bolts? It seems I can do that o.k. if I tighten each bolt a little at a time, but I'm not sure if I am distorting something, or if it is being pulled back into position. I am attaching a picture of it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

· Registered
7,995 Posts
I have a 74 Sanger bubbledeck that I bought mostly disassembled. I have never had an inboard boat of any kind before, and not having taken it apart myself, I am not sure I have all of the parts. I installed the brace that connects the rails at the prop mount (I dont know the proper name for it)and there is a quarter inch gap between the brace and the plate on the floor.The brace is tight to the rails and is resting on the floor at each end. My question for now is, am I missing a spacer, or should I draw this gap
up with the bolts? It seems I can do that o.k. if I tighten each bolt a little at a time, but I'm not sure if I am distorting something, or if it is being pulled back into position. I am attaching a picture of it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Since you didn't take it apart, there is no way of knowing if those parts were ever together, and if they were, was it in this boat??...The lower part is a strut mount, the upper is a strut mount brace......(the prop shaft runs through the strut under the boat, just ahead of the prop, about 3/8ths to 1/2 inch, MAX) DO NOT tighten bolts to draw down the brace. As mentioned, measure the gap CAREFULLY and make a spacer that is snug, but not hammer driven in. Drill holes for bolt clearance, and select the proper length bolts, Grade 8................It sounds like you are in for a fun time trying to assemble stuff that may have never been assembled before. Kind of like a kids Christmas toy with mixed up pieces. Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask questions if in doubt. YOUR SAFETY COULD BE AT RISK................Ray

· Administrator
11,501 Posts
I have seen these before where there are nuts screwed onto the bolts in your gap area essentially creating little spacers.

Not the preferred way but it has been done. Like said above make a spacer if you want it right. As MP has said DO NOT draw the bolts down. You will distort both the brace and the bottom of the boat pulling the strut out of alignment potentially causing several more problems.

· Registered
1,186 Posts
i looked at my 74 and my support has a drop down to fit snug. it looks like that support could be from a true flat. i would make a spacer for it or find the correct part. call sanger speak to kathy. they dug out alot of old parts and will sell them. but i wouldnt run it like that no matter how tight you put it, it will flex

· Registered
320 Posts
I have seen these before where there are nuts screwed onto the bolts in your gap area essentially creating little spacers.

Not the preferred way but it has been done. Like said above make a spacer if you want it right. As MP has said DO NOT draw the bolts down. You will distort both the brace and the bottom of the boat pulling the strut out of alignment potentially causing several more problems.
that was my first impression also.. almost looks like the bottom plate completely bolted into the boat then the strut brace sits on top of the nuts and you put another nut on that. If it were me i'd build a solid spacer like mentioned.

· Registered
1,227 Posts
I would set that bottom plate on 1/4" of sea goin poxy putty (between the hull and plate). Put some wax paper on it so you'll be able to get the plate off later.

That's the way both of my flats were set up.

Might want to use a little longer bolts and some nylocks too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.