Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following email was sent to Performance Boats with a request to post or pass along the information.
-------------------------------------------

This is a very good letter to the editor. This woman made some good points. For some reason, people have difficulty structuring their arguments when arguing against supporting the currently proposed immigration revisions. This lady made the argument pretty simple.

Newspapers simply won't publish letters to the editor which they either deem politically incorrect (read below) or which does not agree with the philosophy they're pushing on the public. This woman wrote a great letter to the editor that should have been published; but, with your help it will get published via cyberspace!

My wife, Rosemary, wrote a wonderful letter to the editor of the OC Register which, of course, was not printed. So, I decided to 'print' it myself by sending it out on the Internet. Pass it along if you feel so inclined.

Dear Editor:

So many letter writers have based their arguments on how this land is made up of immigrants. Ernie Lujan for one, suggests we should tear down the Statue of Liberty because the people now in question aren't being treated the same as those who passed through Ellis Island and other ports of entry.

Maybe we should turn to our history books and point out to people like Mr.. Lujan why today's American is not willing to accept this new kind of immigrant any longer. Back in 1900 when there was a rush from all areas of Europe to come to the United States, people had to get off a ship and stand in a long line in New York and be documented . Some would even get down on their hands and knees and kiss the ground. They made a pledge to uphold the laws and support their new country in good and bad times. They made learning English a primary rule in their new American households and some even changed their names to blend in with their new home.

They had waved good bye to their birth place to give their children a new life and did everything in their power to help their children assimilate into one culture. Nothing was handed to them. No free lunches, no welfare, no labor laws to protect them. All they had were the skills and craftsmanship they had brought with them to trade for a future of prosperity.

Most of their children came of age when World War II broke out. My father fought along side men whose parents had come straight over from Germany, Italy, France, and Japan. None of these 1st generation Americans ever gave any thought about what country their parents had come from. They were Americans fighting Hitler, Mussolini and the Emperor of Japan . They were defending the United States of America as one people.

When we liberated France, no one in those villages were looking for the French-American or the German-American or the Irish-American. The people of France saw only Americans. And we carried one flag that represented one country. Not one of those immigrant sons would have thought about picking up another country's flag and waving it to represent who they were. It would have been a disgrace to their parents who had sacrificed so much to be here. These immigrants truly knew w hat it meant to be an American. They stirred the melting pot into one red, white and blue bowl.

And here we are in 2008 with a new kind of immigrant who wants the same rights and privileges, only they want to achieve it by playing with a different set of rules, one that includes the entitlement card and a guarantee of being faithful to their mother country. I'm sorry, that's not what being an American is all about. I believe that the immigrants who landed on Ellis Island in the early 1900's deserve better than that for all the toil, hard work and sacrifice in raising future generations to create a land that has become a beacon for those legally searching for a better life I think they would be appalled that they are being used as an example by those waving foreign country flags.

And for that suggestion about taking down the Statue of Liberty, it happens to mean a lot to the citizens who are voting on the immigration bill. I wouldn't start talking about dismantling theUnited States just yet.

(signed) Rosemary LaBonte

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
She does point out the they stood in lines to get documents. Big difference between a legal that helps support our society vs an illegal that drains it. and abuse it. Many even come here a protest against us.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
My great grandparents came over on a boat as well.

My grandfather told me stories that they were not allowed to speak Italian at all. It was english only in the home. My grandfather said my grandparents were proud Americans.

Brian

·
Desert Racing Widow
2,073 Posts
Having written papers and done a lot of research comparing the two waves of immigrants, I can say that those who come here illegally are a whole different breed than those who came through Ellis Island and Angel Island (SF). They are also a different breed than those who come here legally today. When you steal something, you don't value it as much as when you work for it. That's what the illegals are doing, stealing something that many are working hard for.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
My great grandfather came over as well. Similar history,

We have a "legal" immigration system. Many use it. Illegals don't... hence the terminology. Migrant workers who come here illegally's only interest is money. They have zero allegiance to the United States. Those in Washington and Sacramento only apply the word "illegal" if it fits their political goals and aspirations with regard to certain ethnic groups that have large illegal populations among them.

If you have not already, click on the immigration link in my signature and watch the "by the numbers" video. Even if these number are inflated (which I doubt they are much) the implication of bankrupting the US in the next 50 years is astounding and eye opening. It gives a clear illustration why we cannot save the world by allowing immigration unchecked and similarly will only cause the US's demise as a nation (as if we didn't have enough challenges in this regard). This does not even touch on the illegal entry of terrorists through our open borders which is a whole nother aspect of the problem which could bite us in the ass hard it any time imo.

I am so frustrated by our government's direction, corruption and favoritism on this and other critical issues it upsets me to even type about it which is why I don't post much lately if the PRF.

·
32 DW X-CAT
2,271 Posts
Comment:

That was a great letter and well written.

I happen to agree with the point the author made not because it is politically correct or easy to associate with and makes a lot of common sense. As the son of immigrant parents I understand the sacrifices this author is talking about.

Our last name was changed to assimilate into the American work force at the time my grandfather came into the United States. The rationale in changing my last name was to allow him greater opportunity to find a job among the many prejudices that existed at the time against foreigners.

All of my uncles immediately joined the armed forces to fight in World War II and subsequent conflicts. They did this not because they had to but because they believed America was their home and had a duty to defend it against oppression. I had one uncle KIA in World War II and my father served in the Army as a medic and recieved a purple heart and bronze star fighting in Guadalcanal.

In our household we broke bread and ate meals from the homeland and I speak two languages almost three---but on holidays there was only one flag that flew in front of our home old glory, stars and stripes, aka the red, white, and blue. Furthermore, I have the United States flag that was draped over the coffin of my father upon his death and this symbol of our country has special meaning and an emotional place in our families heart.

So I understand what the author was talking about and wonder how people think it's ok to wave other flags around while living in this country.
I leave you with this excerpt and highlighted section:
WHEREAS to all Americans the Statue of Liberty stands eternal as the symbol of the freedom which has been made a living reality in the United States for men of all races, creeds, and national origins who have united in allegiance to the Constitution of the United States and to the imperishable ideals of our free society
KAP

P.S. Sorry about the carrying on but what part of that don't people get---shaking my head:)coffee.

G

·
Kind of surprised the register didn't print this. Usually pretty conservative and they don't always go with the flow. Pretty common to see some good liberal bashing from time to time.

This is a great letter and so very true. Our government has allowed this change and allowed people to pillage and take vs. save and build. My grandparents were from Spain. Forced to change their last name to Workman. Fought in WWII and owned an Indian Motorcycle back in the 30-40's.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I will never understand the mindset of the liberals who support the current illegal immigration into this country. The only explanation I can rationalize is that it expands the Democratic party voter base, if this is the reason, it seems like a high price to pay to keep one party in office!

We loyal Americans do have some ability to control our illegal immigration problems thru not hiring any illegal to perform any job no matter how big or small and no matter how cheap they are willing to work. Another way to slow this down is to boycot business's and industries who use this type of labor when ever possible. This might seem ruthless to some but it is time to draw the line and try to protect the future of our Country and at the same time pay respect to the immigrant's and their families who entered our Country legally and worked to become true citizens of this nation.

According to various polls there are about as many Dem's as there are Rep's and Independents, this in mind, by boycotting illegals only half as many would have work opportunities and would at some time reflect only half as many illegal's in our Country.

I think it's worth a try and hope you would agree!

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
Very nice letter. It really hits home!

I know a man from Australia that has been trying to gain citizenship to the states for a few years now. He is very intelligent owning a large business and would be a contribution to this great nation. Alas, our government won't let him in, but wants to grant amnesty to this trash that breaks the law crossing our boarder. What a load of crap. Our gov has some serious issues! :(

·
Registered
686 Posts
Give the boot to the anchor babies also. :)

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts
Last year Senator John Kyle proposed to send all Illeagals to Yuma Az, from the Phoenix area. He wanted to pay them $50.00 an hour to pick crops, 50 bucks an hour. This came out of the mouth of a Federal emlpoyee. Isn't it this ASSHOLES job to keep them out?? We have IDIOTS running the country.

I wish I had a camerra on September 12th 2001. I pulled up to a job site for SCP CONSTUCTION, pouring a concrete floor. There were five yes 5 mexicans standing there, and laughing. I said whats so funny. This DUMB FOCKING NEANDERTHAL said "ha ha look at N.Y. now" . These people must be the dumbest bunch of Muther Fockers on the planet.

I have no sympathy for their plight, get the hell out of MY Country!!!

And the dip shits in public office that feel for these people can fallow them home!!!!!

·
Islander Trailer Trash#23
1,520 Posts
Both of my great-grandparents came here from Mexico. All of my relatives always spoke Spanish, but when it came to my generation none of us, including my cousins, were taught Spanish. When I asked my mom why I never learned Spanish, she told me that she didn't want for me and my siblings to be labeled in school as an English as a second language student.

·
Registered
634 Posts
My parents and I came over from England 50+ years ago. I'm told that applications for visas were required and a lengthy waiting list was in place. Potential immigrants were required to have a sponsor to guarantee employment; verification of good health; and demonstrate an overall ability to overall be able to provide a benefit to this country, not become a drain on assets. We came over and when legally able to do so, became naturalized US citizens.

My 90 year old father in law came over from Italy at age 10. His father came over before the family to ensure that everything was in place and that the family would be self-sufficient. No one spoke Italian in that house because they left Italy to become Americans! He worked full time until age 89, working for the same employer he had since age 19. Amazing man!

What has changed? Why has this country changed from an inclusive environment and "melting pot," to a Balkanized region of hyphenated persons? Don't people realize that there is strength in numbers and unity.

Immigrants brought a strong work ethic and desire to succeed, not a sense of entitlement and hand outs! I am NOT anti immigrant, I AM anti illegal immigrant!:|err
Sad state of affairs these days!:)sphss

·
Dog Days of Summer
590 Posts
Very good letter, I think those that enter the United States illegally should not be rewarded with permanent legal status or any benefits, But I cannot remember the last time a U.S. President was in favor of enforcing the immigration laws.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
great post.

all my descendants were all immigrants too. Mexicans and Italians. All of them spoke english, worked hard and were proud to only fly only one flag.... an American flag.

Yes there were all very proud of their origins and proud of their culture and retained much of it. But they were first and foremost Americans.

The last family member who came over on the boat just recently passed at age 90. Things are definitely different now than in their generation.

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,554 Posts
Funny, this post has been up for 4 days and none of the liberals on here have touched it.......could it be they have no factual answer to the truth? Seems to be rampant these past 80 days!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts